PDA

View Full Version : Baby walkers

greanan
27-10-2014, 08:39 AM
It's wondering if anyone uses baby walkers (sit in type) .. 8 month old lo likes being in them when at groups etc so got mine out cupboard and remembered I'd heard somewhere they aren't to be used anymore?

tess1981
27-10-2014, 08:57 AM
In northern we are not allowed to use them but I did for my own kids and it gave them loads of freedom and kept them active

mrsb79
27-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I've used mine I haven't heard were not allowed to use them, obviously I risk assessed it and got permission from parents as some parents don't like them at all x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

tulip0803
27-10-2014, 10:20 AM
There are no restrictions in England/Wales as far as I know. However the Health Visitors are advising against them - Physiotherapists are trying to get them banned Don’t Use Baby Walkers | Physiotherapy 4 Kids (http://www.physiotherapy4kids.co.uk/?p=55), have been for years.

They are banned in Canada and some other countries.

You need to reed the information available, make a decision to use or not and write a risk assessment. In your risk assessment you also need to think about older children and how they will affect the use of the walker - I have seen older children push babies very fast in them when visiting (non childminding) friends and they may place things where you would not and a baby may be able to reach.

I do not like walkers but understand that this is my own personal feelings and others have different feelings.