PDA

View Full Version : Do any of your own children do competitive swimming?

AliceK
22-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi
Does anyone have a child who does competitive swimming. My DS has been accepted by a swimming club for competitive swimming and it seems like a huge commitment from both him and me. Just wondering if a bit further down the line I will be able to fit my childminding around it. The training sessions are going to be long and at some point will be both early mornings (5am) and evenings as well. Already I am going to have to advise parents that I will need close at 5.30pm instead of 6pm one evening a week in order to get to the venue on time. The other evening should be okay as the training starts slightly later. Am I worrying unnecessarily??

xxx

sarah707
22-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I used to do it many many years ago and yes it was a huge commitment. We didn't have a car so I had to go with other people all the time which could be difficult to organise - and I remember spending lots of hours on buses lol!

If your son has a talent and wants to do it then all power to him you'll make it work ! xx

loocyloo
22-10-2014, 06:38 PM
My ds started but gave up when training meant he had to choose between lots of sport or just swimming! He still trains once or twice a week.
It did fit round minding but I did have to juggle things and we were part of a multi lift share so wasn't too bad.
Good luck to your ds x

AliceK
24-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Thank you both for your replies.
I think we need to do this, if he has the talent then I would never forgive myself if I didn't support him fully, whatever that entails. I'll be letting parents know today that come Jan I will be closing earlier for one day a week, it will only affect 2 out of my 4 parents and will hopefully only be for 1 term as the next stage training which the coach said he will move up to starts a little later. I don't think we will be able to do lift sharing as the club isn't the local one it's a bit further afield so not sure there will be any children from here going. I didn't contact the local club as their training is at a ridiculous time (4pm) which I certainly can't get to.

Thanks again

xxxx

loocyloo
24-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Thank you both for your replies.
I think we need to do this, if he has the talent then I would never forgive myself if I didn't support him fully, whatever that entails. I'll be letting parents know today that come Jan I will be closing earlier for one day a week, it will only affect 2 out of my 4 parents and will hopefully only be for 1 term as the next stage training which the coach said he will move up to starts a little later. I don't think we will be able to do lift sharing as the club isn't the local one it's a bit further afield so not sure there will be any children from here going. I didn't contact the local club as their training is at a ridiculous time (4pm) which I certainly can't get to.

Thanks again

xxxx

Good luck to your ds (and you!)
I would ask if there is anyone in your area/comes through to swim as if the times suit you better they probably suit other people better too. Xx

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Both of my children swam with the eldest making the olympic trials in sheffield.

Not sure what age your child is but by 14 my DS was swimming every morning (apart from Sunday) and had to be in the pool for 4.45am and then some nights at 5.30pm.

It is a big commitment but it was so rewarding. You will make friends and car swap with someone else taking and you picking up. find out at what age you can drop and leave until collection time. I sometimes had to put all the mindees in the car and drop off and my dh would go and collect after work.

4pm seems a silly time but you could go straight from school?

Give it a go, what do you have to lose and he has so much to gain?

AliceK
24-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Both of my children swam with the eldest making the olympic trials in sheffield.

Not sure what age your child is but by 14 my DS was swimming every morning (apart from Sunday) and had to be in the pool for 4.45am and then some nights at 5.30pm.

It is a big commitment but it was so rewarding. You will make friends and car swap with someone else taking and you picking up. find out at what age you can drop and leave until collection time. I sometimes had to put all the mindees in the car and drop off and my dh would go and collect after work.

4pm seems a silly time but you could go straight from school?

Give it a go, what do you have to lose and he has so much to gain?

Wow your eldest should be so proud. My DS is 10. Yes they did say that at some point he will be doing 20hrs a week training, needing to be at the pool for 5am. At the moment the training sessions are evenings starting at 6.30pm and 7pm but as the venues are not local, about 20 miles away, that's why one one day a week I'll need to close at 5.30 rather than 6pm in order to get him there for 6.30 and also there would be no point in me leaving him and coming back home because it's too far away.
He is determined he wants to do this and seeing as it was his instructor at swimming school who suggested he do it I guess they must think he has potential so I really can't hold him back. My children have missed out on lots already due to my work commitments but I feel this is too important.

Thanks xxx

FussyElmo
24-10-2014, 09:11 AM
I agree with still asking about car shares. The 4pm start may not suit everyone.

My ds goes to cadets and we pass 3 other cadets to get there but still have managed to find a car share who lives 5 mins walk away :thumbsup:

kellib
24-10-2014, 11:20 AM
This is an interesting thread for me as my 9 year old son is determined to make it as a swimmer. He's got his sights set on the Olympics in 2024 then once he's got his gold medal he's going on to win Strictly lol!

AliceK
24-10-2014, 12:11 PM
This is an interesting thread for me as my 9 year old son is determined to make it as a swimmer. He's got his sights set on the Olympics in 2024 then once he's got his gold medal he's going on to win Strictly lol!

lol, love it :clapping:

xx