PDA

View Full Version : After school snacks

toddlers896
21-10-2014, 05:50 PM
I really struggle to say no to my after school child who is 7 when she asks for a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar. I will offer her healthy snacks but she always says no thanks so I just let her have it.
I know we are supposed to only give healthy eating but I really do struggle to say no. Do you?

moggy
21-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't even have crisps or chocolate or biscuits in the house. So there's no arguing here- it is healthy or nothing!
Will she compromise on a toasted teacake or oatcakes?

funemnx
21-10-2014, 07:58 PM
It's so difficult to say no, especially when the children are probably used to getting these at home (unless the little girl is trying you out lol!)

When I do snack time after school, I make a sharing plate with a small selection cut up crumpet, teacake, toast or crackers and cheese with a few grapes and apple slices or similar. They either eat it or not, up to them but I don't make anything else but that's because I'm a meany and you're nice! :)

FloraDora
21-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Like moggy I don't have that sort of snack in so cannot offer.
I have a set of snack card menus - the children choose from a range, all reasonably healthy, if they don't like anything on the cards then they do without. Their choice.

blue bear
21-10-2014, 08:31 PM
No crisps or chocolate here either, it's this is snack you either eat or you don't, soon home for tea anyway it's not like they will starve.

alex__17
21-10-2014, 08:35 PM
I do things like crackers, cheese and ham, this was so popular with after schoolers! Or pitta/breadsticks and houmous, crumpets, raisin toast, a biscuit, all offered with some sort of cut up fruit as I find after schoolers don't want just fruit but babies do. Fruits are usually banana slices, sometimes apple but less popular, or grapes.
I find I can never get other fruits that go ripe when I need.
I do feel like I struggle for snack variety but at the end of the day its just to keep them going till tea.

tess1981
21-10-2014, 09:38 PM
I have one after schoolie who always wants more. If I give him 1 he wants 2 if I give 3 he asks for 4. I now set a limit and say that's it. He complains he hungry near to collection time and I remind him if what he ate and he will be getting good tea at home. I have to draw the line somewhere. The other day he asked if I could provide smoked salmon for snack... I did get round this one by saying one one else will eat it and I don't like the smell lol don't like always having to say no but sometimes we need to. And I have found not buying junk food helps and making a treat day where I will have cake or . biscuits or crisps with snack but limit this to once a week so they not always missing out. We provide a balance diet and sugar and fat in a small amount Is part of this imo

Dragonfly
22-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I have chocolate crisps and biscuits in the house, but I just use the word 'No' ( not that anyone asks :)) and offer what I have for them,, crumpets, toast, crackers with cheese and fruit of course. I don't get any complaints. After schoolies don't need a huge amount near tea time.

toddlers896
22-10-2014, 07:14 AM
We have to sacrifice a lot of things to welcome children in to our homes and I don't think my hubby would be too happy if we had to sacrifice crisps and a few chocolate goodies too.
I don't offer children crisps and chocolate biscuits, I offer her a crumpet, a yoghurt, cheese and crackers, fruit etc but she opens the cupboard and the fridge and she will say can I have this please. I don't have a problem her doing this as its good to see that she feels at home. She only comes to me two days a week and I don't make up a fruit plate as I know she won't eat it. Yes she can go without but I do find it hard to sa no you can't have that.
Yesterday we made cup cakes for Halloween and she had one of these for snack. How can you say no you can't eat one, you must eat healthy !!

mama2three
22-10-2014, 07:22 AM
if we bake then yes they can have the cakes / biscuits etc...usually together at snacktime or to take home. Being healthy is all about balance - an occasional sweet treat is fine! I think the problem for me is that youre uncomfortable saying no ... .and I would absolutely draw the line at them going in my fridge and cupboards

toddlers896
22-10-2014, 07:38 AM
if we bake then yes they can have the cakes / biscuits etc...usually together at snacktime or to take home. Being healthy is all about balance - an occasional sweet treat is fine! I think the problem for me is that youre uncomfortable saying no ... .and I would absolutely draw the line at them going in my fridge and cupboards

Spot on mama,I can't say no. Find it very difficult. Ime a pleaser and have always struggled. Perhaps I should swap cupboards round ha ha, that will trick her and just say I don't have what she wants. She used to eat crumpets every week but has started to get a bit cheeky going in cupboards to see what else their is. I know she only gets treats at home occasionally because her mum is very ooo la la if you know what I mean ha ha and her baby sister always comes with a very healthy lunch and snacks. The funny thing is the older one will say to me rather posh,y I hope you didn't give that to my sister and yesterday when we were making cakes she said and how much sugar is in this icing ha h little madam.
Ok so I need to get tougher after the school holidays.

NinaBowen
23-10-2014, 08:44 PM
I offer only healthy snacks for after school children and a lot of them turn their noses up at what I offer but they don't get anything else. Take it or leave it. I do give them biscuits once every two weeks as a treat. We rarely have crisps but if we do we have apple and they need to eat the apple first!

MrsP2C
23-10-2014, 10:28 PM
I insist my schoolies have fruit first then whatever else is on offer which is sometimes biscuits or cakes other times sometimes buttered crackers, crumpets etc