PDA

View Full Version : Wanting an 'Occassional' childminder...

Georgiepoo
21-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Have had an enquiry for 'occasional childminder!'

Parents are looking for someone who can be flexible to cover the occasional Thursday or Friday each month as mum and dad work opposite shifts and grandparents help out but they now need occasional days if childcare. This would be fine for me as I only have one mindee and my own son at a time. My only concern is the child being unsettled, only coming to me and my setting once or twice a month may be unsettling for him.

Opinions welcome....

Mouse
21-10-2014, 02:01 PM
How old is the child? I have one who only comes one day a month and we've had no issues at all with that.

I make sure that I always put her favourite toys out, so something is familiar when she gets here. Her favourite toy for the last few months has been a particular Happyland set, so that's always on the table when she comes in. I made her a photo book of things here and she looks in with her parents. It's another reminder for her and keeps us in mind for the weeks when she's not here. Mum always emails me the day before she comes just to update me on what she's been doing, things she's interested in etc.

I have to be honest, lo has always been very excited to come here and we've had no problems with her settling.

Tealady
21-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Meet with parents and child. If that visit goes well then go ahead on the proviso that if the little one doesn't settle then you are under no obligation to continue taking them. They probably wouldn't want to send there child if they are unhappy either.
I would also say you will only take the child if you have space and are open. You may have a more regular client wanting to sign at a later date or want a day off/quieter day

KateA
21-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi just keeping an eye on post as I have had similar enquiry for a child who only needs car if his grand parents ill or on holiday as they do main care. I am thinking of saying happy to help out if I can but I am not keeping space open for a just in case.

Would i need a contract for them? I am going to say all money is up front and non refundable if they change there mind.

Kiddleywinks
21-10-2014, 03:41 PM
It's an ad-hoc contract you'd need - you aren't able to guarantee the space, but if you do have the availability on the day/s they need, they then 'pay as they go'
This can work well in many cases, however, if parent assumes you will always be available and then one day you're not - taken on new children/existing parent needs you etc, the ad hoc parent can take great offence so be absolutely crystal clear about what you are offering them.

If they actually want the space guaranteed for them then they have to pay whether they use it or not here :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
21-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Never heard of ad-hoc contract?

Kiddleywinks
21-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Ad hoc basically means 'as and when', so for a childminder it's as and when I have space available.

Some minders don't want to fill all their spaces, don't want to work all the time, or, particularly if new, don't want to refuse work that comes their way, but the parents don't want the commitment of a full contract - having to pay for a guaranteed space regardless of attendance, so an ad hoc contract can work for both parties.
Parent contacts minder with requirements as and when they need care, minder confirms they do have the space, parent 'books' the space - pays for it lol, if they change their mind fees are unrefundable - if the minder doesn't have space they confirm they're unable to help this time, parent goes elsewhere.

Child record forms, permissions etc are completed as normal and held on file, policies are still given, but contract is filled in as 'uncontracted hours/days to be advised and if available', or you can do a simple homemade one that details hours each time parent makes a booking.

Parents that want a guaranteed space, but don't want to pay to secure the space is always available to them, have to be informed that ad hoc doesn't give them any guarantees.
Guaranteed space = regular payment ;-)

Georgiepoo
21-10-2014, 05:37 PM
The child is 2 in December.

I told parent I am happy to consider minding the child with occasional days but said I would need to know at the beginning of the week if she needed me so I could plan my week and activities.

I also mentioned that my only co seen was how the child might settle with me and a new environment for just a day or two a month....

I haven't heard back from her so maybe she didn't like me expressing concern...?

KateA
21-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Ad hoc basically means 'as and when', so for a childminder it's as and when I have space available.

Some minders don't want to fill all their spaces, don't want to work all the time, or, particularly if new, don't want to refuse work that comes their way, but the parents don't want the commitment of a full contract - having to pay for a guaranteed space regardless of attendance, so an ad hoc contract can work for both parties.
Parent contacts minder with requirements as and when they need care, minder confirms they do have the space, parent 'books' the space - pays for it lol, if they change their mind fees are unrefundable - if the minder doesn't have space they confirm they're unable to help this time, parent goes elsewhere.

Child record forms, permissions etc are completed as normal and held on file, policies are still given, but contract is filled in as 'uncontracted hours/days to be advised and if available', or you can do a simple homemade one that details hours each time parent makes a booking.

Parents that want a guaranteed space, but don't want to pay to secure the space is always available to them, have to be informed that ad hoc doesn't give them any guarantees.
Guaranteed space = regular payment ;-)

wow thanks for great advise going to print this out and file for future reference x