PDA

View Full Version : trouble wording

clareelizabeth1
19-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm doing a two year check and having trouble wording it.

He is two years and 1 month old and they are from America so don't quite get the whole point of the EYFS and find the British Health visitors a waste of time and prefer to take child to the doctor than the HV (dont blame them)

I'm having problems on the physical development when it comes to fine motor skills he is great really good. He can put together puzzles uses pens to great effect and the rest of it.

It is his grose motor skills i worry about although he can run on his whole foot and does often, he falls over a lot, I find I am having to adjust him when we walk through doors to ensure he doesn't walk into them. He trips over things that are on the floor often too. I put his shoes on the other day and he just had to stand next to the door as i put the next child's shoes on and he fell over thin air twice. I have been watching him closely this past month and i'm not totally sure if he just isn't paying attention or he just has no spaceial awareness.

He has only been coming full time sinse the start of October before that he only came 4 hrs a week so it has only really just become aparent that he is quite this clumsy. Have also had chicken pox and the he went to america for thre weeks and then spain for a week so havnt really seen him untill this last month

Kiddleywinks
19-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Have you tried speaking to parents about the clumsiness? Is it something they're aware of, or that it might be an issue?

Has he had his hearing tests? How did they go?

My DS when he was younger was not able to walk in a straight line without falling over. His feet would go one direction, his body in the other and he was forever bumping into things.

At his hearing tests he always failed the first one, but pass the 2nd, however, a few years ago I asked the doctor to test him again following repeated ear infections and the fact that he would have to have the tv volume at between 22 and 25, whereas my DD and I only had it on 15 during a day and maybe an 8 or 10 of an evening.
He had to have grommets fitted, and since he had them done his balance is so much better. (First set worked till they came out, so he's recently had the second set fitted. If these don't work he will have to have a T bar operation or hearing aids, but we'll cross that bridge when we have to)

I would say unusual clumsiness should be checked out as it could be something so simple to put right, and DS has said how much of a difference it has made to him now that he knows the actual cause, rather than him being labelled the clumsy kid.

clareelizabeth1
19-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I will be broaching it with then this week and was going to ask about his ears just encase. He has always been very quiet when here as he has only been 4 hours a weeks so only just settling by the time mum came to pick up so its only now he's here 50hrs a week that he leaves my side and I've actually seen him move. So wanted to observe it a few weeks before talking to them.

Now though I will talk to them about it he was at a nursery before but he hated it hense why he came to me so hopefully they have aside something too

moggy
19-10-2014, 07:57 PM
2yr check can be done ANY TIME between 24 and 36 months.

To me, this does not sound like a good time to be doing this check at all- he's moved to a new country (recently?), been ill, been away for long breaks overseas, not long with you, you haven't seen him much recently.

I do the 2yr check at 30-31 months old. At that age there is much more chance the child is achieving more of the 'expected' development.
You can time it to suit the child- when they are well and healthy, when you have had a good long stretch of uninterupted time together, when you really feel you know them and have a good selection of obs over all Areas, when you have made your Starting Points and can see progress- all adds to the positive things you can put in the 2yr check.

This clumsiness may well pass in the next few weeks/months, this child has been through a lot by the sounds of it- make obs, make notes, raise it gently with the parents- ask for their thoughts.

Simona
20-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Good idea to get his hearing checked ...I would also suggest an eye test which is free for children...just in case.
In addition also consider dyspraxia to eliminate all worries
Developmental co-ordination disorder in children - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dyspraxia-(childhood)/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

Had a case very similar ages ago...child was found to be visually impaired and being the reason he kept tripping over toys and falling for no reason

Hope you get it sorted

hectors house
20-10-2014, 12:16 PM
I agree with Moggy - if you read the guidelines on doing a 2 year development report it does give an example of where a child in a Nursery had been absent due to illness for a while and they delayed doing the report to give child a chance to settle back in.

Some children are just clumsy - I have one who is always falling over, I think he is going to be a stuntman or clown as he rarely hurts himself. I have just written that he is clumsy in his 2 year check - his mum says the dad is the same "goes at everything like a bull at a gate" - leaps before he looks & thinks etc. I have now started to stop him running so fast and ask him to run slower and to keep his eyes looking at the ground in front of him.