PDA

View Full Version : Help with risk assesment anyone with 4under 5s

ja-lula-belli
17-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi all
Please can I pick your brains??
I am going for a variation and seems I will have it granted but need to do a risk assessment to add to my application forms.
What things can I add to it for 4 under 5s please??
All and any ideas and info very much appreciated
Thank you in advance

VeggieSausage
17-10-2014, 04:16 PM
- risk assess going out with 4 eg how will you keep them safe in the car or on foot
- risk assess meal times eg how will you ensure each is seated at the table etc
- risk assess sleep times eg how will you ensure each child gets a rest or a nap
- risk assess how you will ensure that each child has toys/ learning opportunities etc....

tulip0803
17-10-2014, 04:52 PM
As veggiesausage says :thumbsup:

Don't forget the equipment that you will buy/already have car seats, high chairs, reigns etc. I have also had to tell CSSIW the length of time that children had been with me, their ages and names. I have also provided a plan for the day showing how I meet all the needs of the children during the day. Don't forget to say how long you need the variation for and which days/hours it is needed. Variations are specific to a set of circumstances so if you have a problem on another day you have to reapply for those circumstances.

Good luck - CSSIW will only look at a variation a maximum of 3 weeks before it is needed which is a great help when everyone needs to know! Have you spoken to your named inspector? Although they do not grant the variations (they are done by a team) it may be worth speaking to her to get the wording right and as she knows (ahem if you have actually met her!) you and your setting can speak to the variation team. We had an inspector attend a meeting and this is what she said.

sarah707
17-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Here you go :D

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

Simona
18-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Hi all
I am going for a variation and seems I will have it granted but need to do a risk assessment to add to my application forms.
Thank you in advance

Just to clarify that no one will 'grant' you a variation...you are the only one who can do so ...it is a self variation....by risk assessing your setting and outings, talking to your parents, looking at your space, resources, equipment and routine and ....last but not least...will you be able to meet all the children's needs?

I feel that some confuse Risk assessment with general routine and children's well being as in meeting needs...they are both important but separate

Because cms are unique is their settings...your home is not the same as anyone else's ....you need to look at examples given by the DfE in their documentation and look at all possibilities and go fro there

Mouse
18-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Just to clarify that no one will 'grant' you a variation...you are the only one who can do so ...it is a self variation....by risk assessing your setting and outings, talking to your parents, looking at your space, resources, equipment and routine and ....last but not least...will you be able to meet all the children's needs?

I feel that some confuse Risk assessment with general routine and children's well being as in meeting needs...they are both important but separate

Because cms are unique is their settings...your home is not the same as anyone else's ....you need to look at examples given by the DfE in their documentation and look at all possibilities and go fro there

The OP is in Wales Simona, so it is a different process.

Mouse
18-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Hi all
Thank you in advance

I use a RA that I think I got from Sarah's info in the free downloads section. I know it is for self exceptions, not granted variations, but I'm sure you could use it.

I look at:

Floor space
Evacuation in an emergency
That I'm covered by insurance for an extra child
That I have suitable and sufficient equipment for eating, sleeping and playing
and a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head!

ja-lula-belli
18-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Thank you all very much
Yes just to clarify that I am in wales so it is a different process to England. It's quite an extensive process and this is going I be very handy to me as I don't want to leave anything out.
Thanks x

Simona
18-10-2014, 08:37 AM
The OP is in Wales Simona, so it is a different process.

Sorry ja-lula-belli I was not aware you are in Wales...the post did not mention it but glad the answers were of help
Good luck