PDA

View Full Version : is there a definitive rule for children with temperatures?

Rickers83
16-10-2014, 02:54 PM
As the title states...

Lo has temp of between 37.8 & 38.2 all day, have given Calpol but he is very whingy.
Ive had him here before with high temp (this is same lo ive been having issues with)

NHS website says if child has temperature they should not be at school/nursery, they define a temperature as anything over 37.5

So, where do cm's stand on this?

AgentTink
16-10-2014, 03:00 PM
I use the NHS guidelines in my sickness policy and also put a link directly too it. As per my policy if child has temp and is not themselves then I send them home. As part of my policy I will not give any medicine as I would not want to mask any symptoms of anything worse. I think the fact that you have given medicine, the child is not themselves and their temp hasn't come down means you are within your rights to ask parents to collect. If they will not collect from you then you would need a serious conversation with them in regards to them not trusting your judgement and ignoring your policies.

KateA
16-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi my policies state if child has temp should not come to me and I will contact parents to collect if they develop a temp during the day and are not themselves
x

Happiness
17-10-2014, 08:14 AM
AgentTink is this the link you use please? What is a fever (high temperature) in children? - Health questions - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1633.aspx?categoryid=62&subcategoryid=64)
Thank you :)

AgentTink
17-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Yes happiness that's the one x

Simona
17-10-2014, 09:19 AM
As the title states...

Lo has temp of between 37.8 & 38.2 all day, have given Calpol but he is very whingy.
Ive had him here before with high temp (this is same lo ive been having issues with)

NHS website says if child has temperature they should not be at school/nursery, they define a temperature as anything over 37.5

So, where do cm's stand on this?

The only rule I apply is to do with the child's 'normal' temperature and ...when this is raised I can give medication...with consent...then ask the child to be taken to the GP

This is a sore subject and we do act differently

One thing that has help me is to ask parents to tell me the child's normal temperature...which I record in their personal file...and go from there
Some children can have a 36 as normal...others 37...but if it rises something is not quite right and parents have to comply with policies on exclusion

I have found this a very effective system and avoids problems

Happiness
17-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Thank you AgentTink :)

Rickers83
17-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I've found out today, lo has scarlet fever!!!

So we're now all on alert ��