PDA

View Full Version : Ebola Policy....

happytoddlers
15-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi All,

I'm concerned about how to deal with the Ebola crisis and would love to get some input/opinions for other CM's. I pretty paranoid about this kinda stuff, and to make it worse, one of the children I look after comes from Zimbabwe and will be going back in two weeks for a 3 week holiday. Although there has been no Ebola infections (to date) in Zimbabwe and its East Africa (where-as the epicenter of the virus in West Africa), I'm still concerned. I feel that I should insist on a 3 week exclusion on his return ( the incubation period for the virus) and a blood test; to be fair to the other children that I look after and my own family. I'm not looking forward to informing the parents as they may feel I'm being overly cautious or even discriminate.

Does anyone have an opinion about this I could hear?

thanks CMs!

Hayley

Simona
15-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Hi All,

I'm concerned about how to deal with the Ebola crisis and would love to get some input/opinions for other CM's. I pretty paranoid about this kinda stuff, and to make it worse, one of the children I look after comes from Zimbabwe and will be going back in two weeks for a 3 week holiday. Although there has been no Ebola infections (to date) in Zimbabwe and its East Africa (where-as the epicenter of the virus in West Africa), I'm still concerned. I feel that I should insist on a 3 week exclusion on his return ( the incubation period for the virus) and a blood test; to be fair to the other children that I look after and my own family. I'm not looking forward to informing the parents as they may feel I'm being overly cautious or even discriminate.

Does anyone have an opinion about this I could hear?

thanks CMs!

Hayley
My view is that very soon...as the situation develops...EY providers will be given guidelines as we were given for a 'flu pandemic' a few years back

You can't exclude the child unless you have reasons to believe he/she has been in an affected area...talk to the parents and if worried contact your LA and seek support

Look out for any info from your LA and also the DfE....I think we are all on the alert at present

hectors house
15-10-2014, 09:22 PM
My view is that very soon...as the situation develops...EY providers will be given guidelines as we were given for a 'flu pandemic' a few years back

You can't exclude the child unless you have reasons to believe he/she has been in an affected area...talk to the parents and if worried contact your LA and seek support

Look out for any info from your LA and also the DfE....I think we are all on the alert at present

If the airport is prepared to let them back into the UK from the area they have been visiting then I'm not sure you can impose your own quarantine.

Simona
15-10-2014, 09:29 PM
If the airport is prepared to let them back into the UK from the area they have been visiting then I'm not sure you can impose your own quarantine.

Possibly not...so we need guidelines and soon if the situation gets to that?

Mouse
15-10-2014, 09:37 PM
I would be more concerned about travellers returning from countries where there have been confirmed cases than those coming from a country where there have been no cases at all. Would you apply the same policy for a child returning from Spain?

If you try to enforce your policy you may find that you are actually discriminating against this child. I would say contact your insurance company to see where you stand legally with excluding for 3 weeks and demanding a blood test (where would you go for an Ebola blood test?)

HTSMumma
16-10-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi All, I'm concerned about how to deal with the Ebola crisis and would love to get some input/opinions for other CM's. I pretty paranoid about this kinda stuff, and to make it worse, one of the children I look after comes from Zimbabwe and will be going back in two weeks for a 3 week holiday. Although there has been no Ebola infections (to date) in Zimbabwe and its East Africa (where-as the epicenter of the virus in West Africa), I'm still concerned. I feel that I should insist on a 3 week exclusion on his return ( the incubation period for the virus) and a blood test; to be fair to the other children that I look after and my own family. I'm not looking forward to informing the parents as they may feel I'm being overly cautious or even discriminate. Does anyone have an opinion about this I could hear? thanks CMs! Hayley

This is the kind of panic that we do not need.
The flu kills more people per day than Ebola.
You can't insist a child is excluded for visiting a country on the same continent as Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. Do you know how massive Africa is?
I know Ebola is a frightening disease and is very present in the media right now, but unless we end up with an epidemic like in the countries I spoke of above (epidemics which have been caused by poor sanitation, lack of awareness, people taking religious approaches to 'curing' the disease and poverty) we have very little to worry about.
Unless the little one or one of his family happen to come home with a temperature and displaying symptoms, it would be discriminatory to exclude him from you setting.

Simona
16-10-2014, 06:40 AM
This is the kind of panic that we do not need.
The flu kills more people per day than Ebola.
You can't insist a child is excluded for visiting a country on the same continent as Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. Do you know how massive Africa is?
I know Ebola is a frightening disease and is very present in the media right now, but unless we end up with an epidemic like in the countries I spoke of above (epidemics which have been caused by poor sanitation, lack of awareness, people taking religious approaches to 'curing' the disease and poverty) we have very little to worry about.
Unless the little one or one of his family happen to come home with a temperature and displaying symptoms, it would be discriminatory to exclude him from you setting.

I don't think anyone is panicking...but of course people will be concerned
Ebola is not just present in the media...the media is reporting facts and figures and those are real with cases in Spain, America...one in England

As I said 1st time we need to wait for guidelines from those best able to let us know what we need to do as and when they say we need to act.

The OP asked if the child could be isolated and blood test requested...those questions cannot be answered here and maybe the cm needs to talk to the parents if she has worries and go from there

mama2three
16-10-2014, 06:54 AM
I agree with both HTS Mumma and Mouse , I think this would be classed as discrimination. They are holidaying over 3500 miles from the epidemic area. Blood testes aren't routinely available here yet so would need to be done privately - who would pay for that - you?
I kno you want to keep your family safe but I believe youre vastly over reacting.

Simona
16-10-2014, 07:02 AM
The OP is asking for support and advice as we can clearly see she is concerned...are we not going a bit beyond that now and mentioning discrimination?
we cannot advice but suggest those questions are answered by the medical profession

Happytoddlers...if you are worried get advice but do not panic as we do not have a crisis yet...

mama2three
16-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Simona it was the OP who mentioned the word discriminate. And I gave my opinion - isn't that the point of the forum? A 'balanced' cross section of opinions to help us formulate our own. A pretty boring place if we all just pat each others backs and agree on everything.

HTSMumma
16-10-2014, 07:11 AM
I don't think anyone is panicking...but of course people will be concerned Ebola is not just present in the media...the media is reporting facts and figures and those are real with cases in Spain, America...one in England As I said 1st time we need to wait for guidelines from those best able to let us know what we need to do as and when they say we need to act. The OP asked if the child could be isolated and blood test requested...those questions cannot be answered here and maybe the cm needs to talk to the parents if she has worries and go from there

It is a little panicky though to worry about a child visiting Zimbabwe, a country that is over 3000 miles away from Liberia (as the crow flies - over 5500 miles if you travel by road), when, as you said, we have cases as close to home in England and Spain.
I don't think a child should be excluded because they are visiting the continent of Africa.
As I am under the CSSIW, we have already been given guidelines from them regarding ebola. Have OFSTED not provided any yet?

HTSMumma
16-10-2014, 07:28 AM
The OP is asking for support and advice as we can clearly see she is concerned...are we not going a bit beyond that now and mentioning discrimination? we cannot advice but suggest those questions are answered by the medical profession Happytoddlers...if you are worried get advice but do not panic as we do not have a crisis yet...

This is a direct quote from the information CSSIW registered childminders have been given from NHS Wales:

• Any persons arriving back in the UK having travelled from any of the affected countries, and who are well, are not infectious and there should be no restrictions on their school, college or other learning attendance or normal activities.

As Zimbabwe is not one of the countries affected by the Ebola Virus, why would anyone exclude a child from their setting because they've visited there?

tulip0803
16-10-2014, 07:32 AM
It is a little panicky though to worry about a child visiting Zimbabwe, a country that is over 3000 miles away from Liberia (as the crow flies - over 5500 miles if you travel by road), when, as you said, we have cases as close to home in England and Spain.
I don't think a child should be excluded because they are visiting the continent of Africa.
As I am under the CSSIW, we have already been given guidelines from them regarding ebola. Have OFSTED not provided any yet?

This is what CSSIW have issued - the guidelines are from Public Health Wales further down the link is a further link for education establishments. Public Health Wales | Ebola Outbreak in West Africa (http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/page/74608?utm_source=Childrens+settings+sept+14&utm_campaign=895712d900-public_health_wales_accouncement9_11_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0b74e2366a-895712d900-184759473)

Simona
16-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I think we are getting a bit confused...I am not advocating exclusion all I have suggested is to seek clarification

Good to see Wales have already issued guidelines...I hope Public Health England will do the same very soon :thumbsup:

I have found this on the PHE website...hope it is helpful

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/public-health-england-enhanced-ebola-screening-process

happytoddlers
16-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I agree that I am being 'vastly' over cautious and intend to act rationally and based on facts, not fears, (as my hubby puts it).

Thanks all!

Hayley
xx

Mouse
16-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I agree that I am being 'vastly' over cautious and intend to act rationally and based on facts, not fears, (as my hubby puts it).

Thanks all!

Hayley
xx

That's a sensible approach to take. When you look at the facts there really is no cause for concern. A child travel to Zimbabwe is more likely to catch rabies than Ebola :thumbsup:

HTSMumma
16-10-2014, 10:06 AM
That's a sensible approach to take. When you look at the facts there really is no cause for concern. A child travel to Zimbabwe is more likely to catch rabies than Ebola :thumbsup:

Lol!! Give the poor lady something else to worry about why don't you!! ;-)

Simona
17-10-2014, 07:51 AM

Thanks all!

Hayley
xx

It is reassuring that my LA has this morning sent an alert email to all providers regarding Ebola....it could not have been better timed!

Happytoddlers....If you are still anxious ring your LA and ask them for information and nudge them into sharing any tips with the providers in your area

Good luck and hope this has reassured you!

Mouse
21-10-2014, 08:02 AM
This information is now available. The flow chart may be particularly useful for the OP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/364892/PHEEbola_educational_childcare_young_persons_setti ngs_FINAL_171014.pdf