PDA

View Full Version : Im pregnant - How much time did you take off

serin
14-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Hi all I am 14 weeks pregnant. All my parents have now been informed but the first question they ask is how much time I will take off etc. It works out I am due 12th April and 2 weeks before that is Easter break. I have decided to work all the way through and have my mum to cover my work if I do go into labour. She can only cover holiday period though. I am wondering if 4-6 weeks will be a realistically sufficient amount of time off? I have a helper that can be around wed-fri 2-3 hours a day so that would help me alot.

tigwig
14-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Congratulations! I had 4 weeks off but it was supposed to be 2. Thankfully my baby decided to arrive 2 weeks early, the day after I broke up for the Christmas hols!
It was hard but harder still because of the ages of mindees I had (12 & 14 mths then my 4 wk old)
It wasn't planned like that but I coped just. I had no choice. Just thankful I had a straightforward ish birth.

Nickidela
15-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Congratulations. My baby is 1 week old today! :-) I stopped work 1 week before she was due, I thought she'd be early but no, she came the day after her due date. I'm due back to childminding at the beginning of November, just doing part-time hours until after christmas, all parents are fine with the hours until then. I am so lucky that so far, my baby is really good (very unlike my other children lol), she's so content, feeds, goes down to sleep no trouble, I am getting a good nights sleep so honestly feel I could easily go back beginning of November when she'll be 3 weeks. Time will tell though - she could turn into a nightmare. I think you may have to give parents an idea of timescale you'll be off, but explain it could change eg if you were to have a C-section, or any other complications that could need you resting for longer following the birth. X

leeloo1
16-10-2014, 08:40 AM
I only took 4 weeks off & worked past my due date (due on Friday & I worked til following Tues - was meant to be Weds, but I had lots of bleeding & Braxton Hicks on the Tues night), she actually came on the Thursday. I had my mum helping out, so I wasn't on my own the whole time.

I was very stressed as my 1st child was 10 days overdue I was v worried that 2nd would be & I'd have no Mat Leave left with her, so I had about 4 sweeps, lots of labour scares & was really winding myself up about it all. In hindsight I wish I'd taken longer off & been able to be more relaxed.

But... I wanted to keep my 2 current part-time mindees, they'd both been with me for over a year so knew the routines & settled back in without any hitches. It was all fine & obviously the continued money & not having to hunt for work with a new-ish baby (which I'd probably have had to do if I'd taken longer off) makes life so much easier, but I do feel sad I didn't get longer to just bond with & enjoy my baby.

Good luck with the pregnancy though & try not to be rushed into making any decisions by the parents. :)

clareelizabeth1
16-10-2014, 10:01 AM
I took off a year and even though it meant money was tight. It was so nice to have that time with him. I think it was so relaxing having that time and he is so relaxed now and loves the children that come. It also has meant that I have made friends with mums in the village which is nice

serin
16-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Leeloo its interesting what you say because I do feel pressure to give an answer. I think I will take 4 weeks off though so I am kind of decided. My sister said she can take time off to help me which is nice. The thing is though you cant really know for sure how much time you need until baby is born.