PDA

View Full Version : Information and ideas x

Nadine Axon
14-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Hi there my name is Nadine and I have finally plucked up the courage to start on my own working from home, just having around 4 children under the age of 5 reception age. I have been a nursery practioner now for 10 years and have enjoyed every minute of it I have excellent knowledge of the EYFS. I am level 3 qualified with update First Aid training, and just need to ask would i need to go to college and train if i am qualified. I do know that i need to refresh my food hygiene and register as a food business etc. To all you childminders out there what were your first steps in getting started besides researching, who do i contact first etc all information would be gratefully recieved x

Rick
14-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Some good information in this thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

watgem
14-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Hi Nadine just be aware that the ratios for childminders are lower than nurseries so you will only be allowed 3 under 5's at any one time. Your local council should have information on how to register as a childminder-good luckxxx

moggy
14-10-2014, 01:33 PM
All covered by the posts already... but whether your current childcare qualifications count is for your Local Authority (LA) to decide. But CM training is also about working alone, working from home, setting up and marketing your own business etc. so it is not the same as a general childcare qualification. Even if you have a degree or were a qualified school teacher you would most likely have to still do the CM course- speak to your LA.

Also, the level of your first aid course will need to be checked by LA- generally you need a '12-hour paediatric first aid' qualification, the EYFS explains what it needs to cover.

You do not need to register as a food business- Ofsted do that for you automatically when you get registered (this is a recent change).

You do not have to have food hygiene qualification, but it is good to do and your local Environmental Health Dept might like it. See: Childminders | food.gov.uk (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/startingup/childminders)

Good luck with your new business!