PDA

View Full Version : Can't attend briefing session - now have to wait a year :(

RainbowDrops
09-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi all,

So I was put onto the waiting list to start the childminding process a while back... then a couple of months ago I was invited to the first briefing meeting, which I attended last week. The next briefing session is tomorrow and last minute my childcare has fallen through. I'd probably be able to sort something out if it was a shorter session but 5 hours plus travel time - I can't find anyone at that short notice :( Everyone I know is working and my mum can't look after them for more than a couple of hours as she's disabled and struggles. My OH and friends are working etc I really have run out of ideas.

Anyway I spoke to them today, managed to contact them just before the office closed and was told that if they could put me on a waiting list to start again in a year but this will probably be the last course they do and if that's the case they will try to make other training arrangements. That was my only option.

I am soooo ready for this, I even applied for DBS after last meeting and booked first aid course (which I know is stupid because now this as happened I will lose my money - just wanted to be prepared and get all the admin type stuff done asap)

And the thing that really gets me is the briefing meeting was so basic last time. Things like 'what are the challenges of being a childminder' 'what is EYFS' etc and loads of chatting and making lists in groups. I didn't learn anything because I've been wanting to do this for so long I've researched all this stuff in my own time (and I think most others agreed) - although it was lovely meeting the others there :) The things we'll be doing at the next meeting like 'safeguarding children' 'treating children as individuals' etc - I probably know a lot of already anyway... I've already done a safeguarding course and as I said have spent a long time researching this. I write articles on child development, early years, resources for play etc freelance.

I'm sure if I was given the information (they had printed off slideshows last time) it would be sufficient and I would obviously do my own reading and do something like write an essay or fill out the sheets we get given as homework to show that I had actually done the material.

Sorry to vent, just so frustrated, feels like a never ending struggle and now months of waiting again :(

blue bear
09-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Not many councils actually do courses any more it's all done through online courses here, I think pacey do one. Might be worth you contacting hem them ringing your la and ask of you do the online one will you still need to their face to face one?