PDA

View Full Version : ad hoc minding

ziggy
09-10-2014, 08:21 AM
local minder is offering 'one off' sessions for parents to go shopping, hairdressers etc. I have thought of doing the same for quite a while. She is offering a 'no contract' service. I am insured through MM, is this allowed?

Simona
09-10-2014, 08:29 AM
local minder is offering 'one off' sessions for parents to go shopping, hairdressers etc. I have thought of doing the same for quite a while. She is offering a 'no contract' service. I am insured through MM, is this allowed?

That kind of ad hoc service has been offered before and can be very useful to parents and CMs who want to fill in gaps
It can be a one off or something the parents want to take advantage from time to time

Maybe MM would advise you on this
CMs could have an ad hoc contract but certain requirements need to be met because we are registered and I would assume a lot of the paperwork will not be needed

Parents who want a few hours to go shopping or for whatever reasons could use family or friends ...or even a babysitter....but if they use a registered CM they have additional reassurances

Let us know what MM say if you call them

AgentTink
09-10-2014, 08:37 AM
I offer ad-hoc services. I don't use a full contract but I do still need all permissions signed, child important info completed such as dob address parent details emergency contract details etc, allergies, child's likes/dislikes etc and I provide my policies and procedures and a signature sheet. I then have a simple contract which states things like payment at drop off, if I'm closed for illness or emergency then I won't be able to offer cover, sessions to be booked at least 4 days prior to prevent anybody sending me an ill child knowingly, and that I do not guarantee cover as I take each request as it comes. To be honest the only people that have used the service are people I know I have not had an enquiry from someone new.

natlou82
09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
I also offer AdHoc and do exactly the same as agenttink I have a few children who I look after in this way and has worked out really well for me :-)

AliceK
09-10-2014, 09:57 AM
I also offer this service. I will always have childs details and emergency details etc but no contract as such as adhoc is just that. I have a number of children I do this for, most have started coming through word of mouth from people who already know me. Some come quite often and others I might only see 2 / 3 times a year.

xxx

tess1981
09-10-2014, 10:29 AM
It can be very useful to parents on the run up to Christmas I found. I do this too. No contract but signed forms etc if I have a space they get it. Don't mind even if a person asks me the day before but they can be harder work if the child is new to your setting.

tulip0803
09-10-2014, 12:20 PM
What are your regulations/standards like in Ireland? I am in Wales and have to have a contract in place before any care is offered as specified in the regulations and standards. I use a simple form contract that I made for ad-hoc children, all permissions, all about me etc as well. The contract means that if they choose to come again they can without re-doing it and also gets them to sign to say I can only offer a place if there is one available with regards the ratios.

Payment upfront, no free settling sessions.

AliceK
09-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Yes I always get payment upfront too without any excuses and no free settling in sessions either :thumbsup:

xx

tess1981
09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Not actually sure what the story us with me having no contract but I feel a contract is for more permanent children. When a child comes for settle in before a contract starts contracts usually not in place yet. I just get signed permission. Contracts are more for booking set days and times and what you charge imo

tulip0803
09-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Not actually sure what the story us with me having no contract but I feel a contract is for more permanent children. When a child comes for settle in before a contract starts contracts usually not in place yet. I just get signed permission. Contracts are more for booking set days and times and what you charge imo

It's the difference between the countries again - Wales has it in our standards that a contract must be in place before any care is undertaken so we have to do one before any settling and even just for a few hours on one day and never again. but it doesn't specify that it has to be the same as a permanent contract which is why I do a short one that I made up myself and use Pacey ones for permanent contracts.

tess1981
09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
It's the difference between the countries again - Wales has it in our standards that a contract must be in place before any care is undertaken so we have to do one before any settling and even just for a few hours on one day and never again. but it doesn't specify that it has to be the same as a permanent contract which is why I do a short one that I made up myself and use Pacey ones for permanent contracts.

Must take a closer read at my notes... A lot of childminders around here do it this way....