PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 yo funding

redtiger21
09-10-2014, 04:58 AM
I wasn't sure what page to put this on so put it here, apologies if there's a more appropriate section, I did look but it's not yet 6am so brain not in gear!

Is there anyone who has chosen to either not offer government funded spaces at all, or to only offer the 2year funding? I currently offer both, but I'm vaguely considering stopping the 3/4yr funding at some point, simply because I feel a little overwhelmed at the idea of being solely responsible for making the children "school ready" in that very crucial year leading up to reception. I've got no childcare qualifications at all (and don't really want to gain any at the moment as feel I have enough to do), and I personally would feel happier sharing that responsibility with a setting like a pre school or school nursery, where there are more qualified people to support me.
Does anyone else feel like this? Before anyone shoots me, I am in no way insinuating that a childminder's job is less vital than anyone else's, or that a childminder's setting can't offer a wonderful early start in life!! :) Thanks x

Lal
09-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Can't write a long post now, but I'm sure you are capable of supporting children to be 'school ready'. The home environment has lots of opportunity for supporting children to be ready for school, and you don't need to be qualified to do it. Remember there are children starting school who have no idea how to use a book, hold and use a pencil, are still in nappies (with no medical reason not to be toilet trained), who can't/ won't try to put own coats and shoes on, who don't have the skills/ confidence to talk to adults about their needs- I'm sure you support your mindees with these skills. :)
There is a proper list somewhere- I'll have a look later if no-one else adds more.

AgentTink
09-10-2014, 07:48 AM
I am in the position of giving 2 children currently 2 yr old funding. I would happily offer the 3/4 year old funding if this is what the parents wanted however I do know how beneficial it was for my daughter to attend preschool for a year as she was then familiar with her school, how school had certain routines and got to mix with 26 children her own age. so when I speak to parents I advise of the benefits of a preschool environment from my point of view, and so far every parent has put their child with a preschool the year before they attend school and shared care with me. The current families on 2 year old funding have applied for their children to attend pre school next sept and in the meantime I will offer the 3 year old funding when they turn 3 until the go to preschool. I think you will find that lots of parents will want their child to attend some sort of bigger setting prior to school as the media and parent information packs always talk about that's how to get the funding anyway. All of my parents have been shocked when I say I can offer it.

Simona
09-10-2014, 08:36 AM
I wasn't sure what page to put this on so put it here, apologies if there's a more appropriate section, I did look but it's not yet 6am so brain not in gear!

Is there anyone who has chosen to either not offer government funded spaces at all, or to only offer the 2year funding? I currently offer both, but I'm vaguely considering stopping the 3/4yr funding at some point, simply because I feel a little overwhelmed at the idea of being solely responsible for making the children "school ready" in that very crucial year leading up to reception. I've got no childcare qualifications at all (and don't really want to gain any at the moment as feel I have enough to do), and I personally would feel happier sharing that responsibility with a setting like a pre school or school nursery, where there are more qualified people to support me.
Does anyone else feel like this? Before anyone shoots me, I am in no way insinuating that a childminder's job is less vital than anyone else's, or that a childminder's setting can't offer a wonderful early start in life!! :) Thanks x

it will depend on your LA's Conditions of Grant and this is something I am looking into at present

Some LAs expect CMs to continue offering funding when children get to 3
Many parents do choose to send a child to a preschool...others want a mixture where the funded hours are shared
The funding for 3/4 year olds is usually lower and that is a consideration for cms due to sustainability

If you shared the funded hours but the parents want more than that you can then charge your current fees outside the free entitlement and possibly get to care for the child when he/she goes to school with wraparound care and also holiday cover

hectors house
09-10-2014, 01:30 PM
I am in the position of giving 2 children currently 2 yr old funding. I would happily offer the 3/4 year old funding if this is what the parents wanted however I do know how beneficial it was for my daughter to attend preschool for a year as she was then familiar with her school, how school had certain routines and got to mix with 26 children her own age. so when I speak to parents I advise of the benefits of a preschool environment from my point of view, and so far every parent has put their child with a preschool the year before they attend school and shared care with me. The current families on 2 year old funding have applied for their children to attend pre school next sept and in the meantime I will offer the 3 year old funding when they turn 3 until the go to preschool. I think you will find that lots of parents will want their child to attend some sort of bigger setting prior to school as the media and parent information packs always talk about that's how to get the funding anyway. All of my parents have been shocked when I say I can offer it.

Although I do offer funding, I generally agree that it's good for the children to go the Nursery or pre-school for the year (or part of the year) before they start school - it's good for the children to mix with children of their own age. When I went to visit a mindees keyworker at a Nursery, my mindee showed me round - I could offer everything that the Nursery did, plus trips and outings in the "real world" the only thing I couldn't provide him with was other 4 year old friends. Parents generally split the care between me and the Nursery with whole days in each setting as I don't offer school runs. Maybe I would feel different if I had 3 children all the same age but I tend to have children come as babies and stay until they go to school so one new baby each year means I currently have children aged 1,2,or 3 - I prefer it that way as I don't have to fill many spaces each Sept.

redtiger21
09-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm still undecided, plus I need to hear from my council as to whether I'd be able to continue offering 2yr funding if I stop with the 3/4yr, then I'll be better placed to make a decision. X

hectors house
10-10-2014, 08:17 AM
I think you are allowed to say to parents that you don't offer 3 year old funding but you are happy to have the child on some days whilst they go to Nursery for the funding on other days.

Although I'm sure that you are more than capable of preparing your mindees for school - I heard at a Nursery cluster meeting a few months ago where we had a meeting with reception teachers about their interpretation on "school readiness" that one school last Sept had 3 children arrive still in nappies and still with dummies - I bet those childen hadn't been to a childminder as we wouldn't have allowed that to have carried on. (there was no medical reasons for this, probably just lazy, can't be bothered parents).

Chatterbox Childcare
10-10-2014, 08:22 AM
I had two 2 year olds start with me in February this year and neither of them were ready to go to nursery let alone school so they have both stayed with me. they have come on leaps and bounds since last month and I know that they will be school ready

I think that there will be a shortage of places for 3/4 year olds at nurseries soon due to a lot of them making way for 2 year olds anyway.

Simona
10-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm still undecided, plus I need to hear from my council as to whether I'd be able to continue offering 2yr funding if I stop with the 3/4yr, then I'll be better placed to make a decision. X

There is no requirement for you to do 3/4 yo funding ...if you wish to do just the 2 yo your LA must not stop you but you must check their Condition of Grant which will have been in place for years

If they impose conditions please show them the DfE guidance...it is totally up to you and the parents to decide the next steps when the child becomes 3....also look out for NWorld to do a big article on this in October.

Chatterbox ...I do agree with you
Often 3 yo are sent to nursery or preschool to 'get them ready for school' because parents believe a larger group is preparation...it is not really

readiness is not about being able to function in a bigger crowd ...lets not forget private settings have a higher ratio than a school where very young children will be in a class of 1:30 ....maybe a gradual approach would help starting with 1 or 2 days then increasing over time