PDA

View Full Version : Advertising - where to draw the line!

Jayse74
08-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Just a little post about Advertising!

I know it is all of our right to advertise our services. If in public places you need to at least use the public bill board or ask permission if it is a School etc. We have done this ever since starting up back in 2008. Always sought permission. Also found that the more you use a professional organisations leaflets where you can put your details, these work great as parents are more at ease.

But somebody has decided to place something very close to our property! not far around the corner. But it appears they also did not ask for permission which if somebody does pick it up will end up taking it down. Other minders have sought permission and put it in the correct place for all to see.

I kind think its a bit... something like "What would have stopped them putting it right under our nose?"

Not good form tbh. We will never do that to anyone else so... seems a bit... how are we all supposed to be sticking up for each other and the profession if newbies will just stick it alone and ignore everyone else?

That is my rant for the day lol. Better get back to it, lunch was over a while ago.

shortstuff
09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Maybe the newbie just needs a little guidance? could you maybe offer to support them? That way it might help?

Jayse74
09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Of course we would offer help! But we have not seen them around.

When we first started, we made sure that we approached people already established and were polite etc and became good friends with them. We now try and support one another. Maybe I am reading more into things, I sometimes do that :(

I was just initially a bit peeved as the advert is yards from our house and this is something we have never done to any other minder and would never dream of doing so!

Simona
09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Of course we would offer help! But we have not seen them around.

When we first started, we made sure that we approached people already established and were polite etc and became good friends with them. We now try and support one another. Maybe I am reading more into things, I sometimes do that :(

I was just initially a bit peeved as the advert is yards from our house and this is something we have never done to any other minder and would never dream of doing so!

I feel you are talking about 'competition'? hope I got that right?
in the current childcare 'market' promoted by this govt this will happen more and more and possibly under our very noses at local level especially if agencies start advertising once they are registered... and not just amongst cms but also those offering wraparound care and more such as preschools and nurseries
Will they care for fair competition? some will ...some may not

Working together will certainly help.....forming support and info sharing so if one cm does not have spaces she/he would send parents to another?
There is a small area here which has a great number of cms...so competition is very close but they seem to survive

Jayse74
09-10-2014, 07:36 PM
:)

Competition, I know it is that! But we have advertised in the correct place, which is there for a specific reason! You ask for permission, very rarely are you turned down. We are alongside another childminder on the boards. No problems! Its all fair imho. Parents look at the boards etc.

But when somebody comes along and decides to put things where they are not allowed and then appear to stick the fork in by pushing it closer to your setting... it just feels a bit! jealous or something. Leaving myself here moaning about it :(

The advert is still up, it will stay up until a staff member notices and takes action I guess! We are not the type to stoop low and get rid etc. Just not our way! Same as we will not step on peoples toes, rather take the course of getting to know people and hopefully be fair etc.