PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a self-employed Nanny?

Ripeberry
07-10-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm daydreaming so much at the moment at the thought of one day having my house back! My youngest daughter will be starting senior school in Sept 2016 and I will be giving up CM by then. I don't ever want to work in a nursery or a school but quite fancy do a bit of 'nannying' or even being a home help.
How would I go about it?

hectors house
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
As PACEY also support Nannies now, could you look on their website to see if they offer any advice - I'm not a member so don't know, either that or do a search for nanny agencies or find out if nannies attend a group at your children's centre. We have a lady who is registering as a childminder, giving up being a nanny - so the other way round to you. It is something I have though about doing myself one day as my family have all left home and it's just me and hubby at home living in a :censored: Nursery!

Toothfairy
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
When my friend looked into this a couple of years ago, she was told by the Tax office that to be a self employed Nanny, she had to work for more than one family. If she only worked for one family, she had to be employed.
It might be worth speaking to the Tax office. :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Have to admit the thought of getting my house back is VERY appealing! My sons are all adults now and I'm getting fed up of the dining room looking more like a playroom! Plus the paperwork is starting to get to me! I'm not great at it and I seem to struggle, not helped by Ofsted being due at some point (5 1/2 years since last insp). I don't fancy a Nursery either so thought of looking into Nannying at some point!

Lal
07-10-2014, 06:29 PM
I worked as a self-employed nanny for almost a year. I did ad hoc school pick-ups and overnights for a family with business commitments, covered the long-term sickness of their nanny for another, I did a few hours a week for another family- mum was happy to fit in around.
Each time I spoke to HMRC I was told something different ranging from 'its ok as long as it's only temporary work' to 'why wouldn't you be able to?' , but I just kept my books and submitted a tax return with no problem.

MM were happy to insure me. It worked really well for me. I'd had enough of working 8-6 plus babysits and fortnightly overnights and wanted to study as well. The working pattern I was able to establish worked really well for me at the time.

tinkerbelle
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
do you not need to register with Ofsted to nanny if the parent wishes to claim tax credits which could also result in inspections or are nanny agencies adequate enough

hectors house
08-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes you do need to register but I think only a very small selection get inspected.

tinkerbelle
09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
whats the registration process for this does anyone know and is it classed as voluntary registration etc