PDA

View Full Version : Help with behaviour of a 6 year old please?

skytvaddict
07-10-2014, 06:14 AM
6 year old Y2 - constant low level defiance, cheeky, irritating the others (hair pulling, seat belt pulling if in car) and winding up if walking to and from school, and not listending (ruuning across small roads). He can play nicely in the home most of the time but not all the time. I feel all my attention is on him and not on the younger children. Last night I realised I was watching him so much in the rear view mirror that I may crash the car. This I explaned to him and got faces pulled when he thought I wasn't looking again. He won't stand still in the playground and looks/jumps around outside the key stage 2 class rooms whilst they are still having lessons. All this despite repeated requests not to. Its all a bit complicated by the fact that he is related to me! I intend to carry out the threat of wrist strap (I keep forgetting to take wrist strap with me!) regarding the standing still and walking nicely to school but his mum wants me to set up a reward system to include all the children for good behaviour and play games whilst standing waiting for the older ones? I don't see any other childminders having to do this!

My initial reaction was that she has to be joking, at 6 he really needs to learn how to behave, there are no SN (that we know of) and all the others manage it. I don't see why I should do rewards for all when they don't need it. They all get to play with what they want at mine, we go to the park etc and I am definitely not buying rewards or stickers etc!

My question is does anyone have any tips for rewards/ideas that I can at least give a try to show willing as I am willing to keep trying (had him since reception so been a while!) for a while but it affects all the children, especially my own, and I am not sure how much longer I can carry on.

Sorry for waffling - I can see a family rift coming on if I'm not careful and find it all a bit upsetting! :(

TIA

Ripeberry
07-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I think it's the fact that a relative is trying to tell you how to do your job that must wind you up even more. Do what YOU feel is the way to deal with the situation. If your relative doesn't like it then give notice. You don't have to work for people you know. They always end up being trouble in the end anyway :(
I keep a wrist strap tied to the pushchair so it can never be forgotten :thumbsup:

shortstuff
07-10-2014, 09:56 AM
I have to say i do keep the children entertained while waiting. They have little jobs to do. Like look for others coming out of class. I also have a sticker book which all well behaved los get to put a sticker in. It works well for me.

That all said i can understand how frustrating it can be if just one constantly plays up.

You need to do what sits right with you. But the best advice i was ever given is say what you mean and mean what you say. So if you say there will be a consequence for a behaviour you need to follow it through.

Hth