PDA

View Full Version : Getting a puppy

redtiger21
05-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Has anyone gotten a puppy since starting minding? I'm just putting my feelers out there, it probably won't come to anything as I'm unlikely to convince hubby, but just wondering. What were the implications of it in terms of your job? Did you send out letters etc? Any objections from anyone? Any mindees who don't like dogs? How did you deal with house training? I don't have a playroom so we'd all be in the house together! Am interested to hear some views and experiences. Thanks :)

tulip0803
05-10-2014, 11:54 PM
I have just got a cocker spaniel but not a puppy - he was a rescue and fully house trained, loves children, ignores my cats:). I do not have a playroom the dog follows me or my husband around. The children have all loved him

I had a dog (WhippetXlab) who died at the end of August last year, I had him since before I started childminding, An older puppy from a rescue centre again fully house trained:thumbsup:.

I have 10 mindees across the week and only 4 were here last year when I had a dog. With the new dog I didn't tell anyone because I didn't know myself that it was going to happen - the kennels that I used to take my old dog to are an overflow for the pound so I rang her on Fri not expecting to find anything suitable for children and cats we went for a visit on Sunday and came away with a dog (as she knows us and my old dog for years she felt that a home check wasn't needed). I am lucky in that all my parents own or have owned dogs or were with me before I lost Parker so they were all really happy.

Some rescue kennels will not house with children under a certain age although breeders tend not to be fussy. You need to risk assess the dog and training it. Training a puppy can be hard work and may be difficult when dealing with young children too. I would look into the ins and outs of house training and training and see if they are compatible with the way that you are working. My childminding friend used a dog cage for the puppy/dog to retreat into if things got too much. Look at the different breeds of dogs and choose one suitable to you and your family.

I would broach it with parents who do not have pets to see their thoughts but ultimately it is a family decision - if you choose to have a dog if some of your parents object strongly they may leave.

I have had parents choose not to come to me because I had a dog but I have had more people choose me because of me pets. I have even had parents that are scared of dogs place their child with me as they did not want their child to be scared.

AliceK
06-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I already had an elderly dog when I started childminding who sadly passed away about 4 years ago. Since then I have had 2 puppies. I didn't "ask" parents but I did inform them although seeing as I had already had a dog I think they were happy with my RA etc. My rather large puppy is now 8 mths old. I won't lie, it is hard work having a puppy and a house full of children. I am lucky in that I have a very large kitchen with a snug area and the puppy is kept in there with a gate up so that the children can see / stroke him but he can't actually get to them. He is the most loving, good natured dog I have ever known but he is very big and still prone to having completely mental mad moments so he would probably end up knocking someone over. The hardest parts were when he was still housetraining and when he went through the mouthing stage. Had to be extra vigilant then. IF you can crate train a puppy your life will be easier, my first puppy took to his crate with no problem however my current "puppy" never did and it's much harder work.
Good luck xxx

redtiger21
07-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Ok thank you for the advice guys, food for thought! X