PDA

View Full Version : Information from home

greanan
04-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses a form to get additional info from home? I do daily diaries but none of the parents comment in them so was thinking of having some sort of sheet in it where the can put what child has enjoyed doing at home recently?? Does anyone do something similar?

Smiley
04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I use a communication sheet, just one piece of A4 paper. The top half I just put a few things we have been doing including next steps then bottom half 'what have you been doing at home'. It tends to then prompt parents to put a few things down. I now only do it every half term as monthly seemed to be too much. However, verbal exchanges happen daily.

greanan
04-10-2014, 06:22 PM
I use a communication sheet, just one piece of A4 paper. The top half I just put a few things we have been doing including next steps then bottom half 'what have you been doing at home'. It tends to then prompt parents to put a few things down. I now only do it every half term as monthly seemed to be too much. However, verbal exchanges happen daily.

Yeah I speak to parents everyday but was just thinking of ideas on how to get them to comment in the diary book. Do you find all your parents write something on it?

moggy
04-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Yeah I speak to parents everyday but was just thinking of ideas on how to get them to comment in the diary book. Do you find all your parents write something on it?

If you are getting verbal info but want it written down then write it yourself- either in daily diary or in a separate record book that you keep- ie: 'At drop off 3/10/14, mum said Freddie had loved bringing home the farm book and had been playing with his toy animals in the sandpit at granny's house' etc. If you write it in the daily diary then the parents might start to get the idea of what to write- they might not have a clue about what to write, or be a bit shy/scared of putting pen to paper.

greanan
04-10-2014, 07:15 PM
If you are getting verbal info but want it written down then write it yourself- either in daily diary or in a separate record book that you keep- ie: 'At drop off 3/10/14, mum said Freddie had loved bringing home the farm book and had been playing with his toy animals in the sandpit at granny's house' etc. If you write it in the daily diary then the parents might start to get the idea of what to write- they might not have a clue about what to write, or be a bit shy/scared of putting pen to paper.

That's a good idea but some of the parents are in a rush when picking up/collecting or grandparents collect so don't always get the chance to chat About what they have enjoyed doing at home so that's why I was thinking if some kind of sheet or something in wee ones diary

Mrs Scrubbit
04-10-2014, 09:19 PM
My parents were quite good at writing in the diary but I gave them 'post-its' on which they jotted down things related to their child's development and interests that they observed. I also used 'post its' to write up any relevent info that the parents shared with me at arrival / collection times, all these little snippets of info were then placed in their childs l/journal and, if possible, linked to the EYFS.This also served to show parental input in their childs learning and development ( and made Ofsted happy) hth xx

greanan
04-10-2014, 09:35 PM
My parents were quite good at writing in the diary but I gave them 'post-its' on which they jotted down things related to their child's development and interests that they observed. I also used 'post its' to write up any relevent info that the parents shared with me at arrival / collection times, all these little snippets of info were then placed in their childs l/journal and, if possible, linked to the EYFS.This also served to show parental input in their childs learning and development ( and made Ofsted happy) hth xx

I like this idea aswell but know if I give them post it's they'll not bother writing anything. Just think if I make up a sheet sort of thing it'll look important and therefor they'll fill it in??! Lol

Smiley
05-10-2014, 10:51 AM
The communication sheets I use are kept in children's individual development files. I send them home each term and sometimes the sheets are overlooked. However, I find it works better if I just hand out the sheet from time-to-time

greanan
05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
The communication sheets I use are kept in children's individual development files. I send them home each term and sometimes the sheets are overlooked. However, I find it works better if I just hand out the sheet from time-to-time

Thank you! I think I'll try and make up a similar type of sheet today x

ChildcareCate
05-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi. I made up a sheet for the parents to complete about "What my child has been doing" and have three sections - what my child has been enjoying, any special outings or celebrations or activities my child has done and what I would like included in the planning for my child. I put the sheet in the daily diary each week. Some return it each week, others every few weeks and some never! Works really well for me so would definitely encourage you to prepare your own that works for you. Get some great information about the children.

:)

greanan
05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi. I made up a sheet for the parents to complete about "What my child has been doing" and have three sections - what my child has been enjoying, any special outings or celebrations or activities my child has done and what I would like included in the planning for my child. I put the sheet in the daily diary each week. Some return it each week, others every few weeks and some never! Works really well for me so would definitely encourage you to prepare your own that works for you. Get some great information about the children. :)

Thank you! I love this idea!! Is yours set out in three different boxes?

ChildcareCate
26-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Sorry! Been offline for a while. Yes, three different boxes printed on an A5 sheet so not too big. :)