PDA

View Full Version : display boards

Karen1
04-10-2014, 01:29 PM
HI

I have just spent the whole morning organising my autumn display. Now I have my autumn tree that the children helped to sponge paint he leaves. apple printing pictures they have done. conker rolling pictures -basically loads of art work. photos. family photos on leaves that i have been using. Also made an autumn leaf number line that the kids helped to decorated. conkers leaves etc in a autumn basket. Now what can i get to have a display and then put it away at night, as dont want it out all the time. but will want to add to it and change it

Especially as I work from my living room and dont want it all on display when not working. already got enough out with certificate and a dresser of stuff covered in paperwork (attendance etc). Ideas.
what do you all use?

tia

moggy
04-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Mmm, well... I don't have all that stuff out at al!

It all sounds wonderful, but I send all artwork home with them! They love taking things home to show parents.

I have an Autumn tray out all the time with all the things we collect and nice Autumn things in. If anyone wants to put up their artwork on my wall it would go on fridge door or kitchen door.

Not much help for you... maybe a really big sheet of heavy duty cardboard you can put behind the sofa at weekends? (or send some of the stuff home!)

FloraDora
04-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I have pondered on a nice framed picture that you can turn around easily, display on one side and nice living room pic on reverse.
But like moggy The children take home most pictures they do, I have a shelf in the den with a wall behind that I occasionally pop on book related art work with the book to encourage further interest in it, but unless it is totally interactive the LO's pay no real attention to it after the experience of completing it. Photos of themselves completing it gains more after participation interest usually.
Display short term on the door is good for the children to see what they have made but who is the big display really for? Sometimes its good for the children to have contributed collaboratively to a big picture.... ? It looks good? It's telling the children that there is a reason for doing something/ that we think they are great artists/ that their work is brilliant?
I'm sticking my neck out here. But on the whole are we displaying to be like a nursery? They have big spaces that need filling, we have home walls, with home like pics, mirrors and photos. Do we really need to put up frieze like displays?
I think this could be an interesting discussion, especially for those of us that don't have a dedicated playroom.

I have a similar quandary over notice boards. I work with 3 sets of parents, all in the education profession, ex colleagues or current friends. ( one is an EY advisor) . We talk at drop off and pick up. There is nothing that I really need to display for their benefit. Compulsory registration certificate? They know I have it, they have seen it. Insurance certificate? Same. Why I have to display the ofsted poster defeats me because I am sure if they ever did want to complain, they wouldn't stand in my hall and write down the phone number, or now, link ! Give them a copy - yes, but they are intelligent people and can use google ( and mine are all well familiar with the ofsted site!) I send them menus, which can be accessed at any time via ' the online system that can never be mentioned'. I email them planning as it is individual to their child and discussed with them.
I have two magnetic red glass squares that I pop on certificate and poster because I do what I am told, and they fit in with my hall decor when not in use, but it isn't necessary and no amount of putting things on the wall is going to make me a better childminder. It's how I care and play with LO's that makes the difference I think.

blue bear
04-10-2014, 03:56 PM
What about a big frame, take it down each night and shove behind the sofa?
I nota big fan of displays, do you have a wooden playhouse you could have it in maybe

Kiddleywinks
04-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I saw a board on the facebook page, made from an old dartboard. When closed the front was mirrored, open it up and inside was posters, certificates etc.

Maybe you could adapt that idea?

Karen1
04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Ah thank you for all the replies. I dont normally have any displays and send artwork home, but thought i should start something. As we had made a big autumn tree, but am really double thinking now whether just to stick to my dresser and just send home all the collected art work. Probably making more work for myself anyway.

I thought i would combine it with info for parents but dont think it will be practical. Will bundle it all up for home. Take photo of tree so all got a copy. Easy. Thank u all.

KateA
04-10-2014, 10:50 PM
wow that sounds amazing. wish I could come up with ideas like that

Kiddleywinks
05-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Sorry, it wasn't a dartboard after all lol.
Two mirrors from the range, hinges, and attached to a notice board with a frame

Simona
05-10-2014, 07:56 AM
I have pondered on a nice framed picture that you can turn around easily, display on one side and nice living room pic on reverse.
But like moggy The children take home most pictures they do, I have a shelf in the den with a wall behind that I occasionally pop on book related art work with the book to encourage further interest in it, but unless it is totally interactive the LO's pay no real attention to it after the experience of completing it. Photos of themselves completing it gains more after participation interest usually.
Display short term on the door is good for the children to see what they have made but who is the big display really for? Sometimes its good for the children to have contributed collaboratively to a big picture.... ? It looks good? It's telling the children that there is a reason for doing something/ that we think they are great artists/ that their work is brilliant?
I'm sticking my neck out here. But on the whole are we displaying to be like a nursery? They have big spaces that need filling, we have home walls, with home like pics, mirrors and photos. Do we really need to put up frieze like displays?
I think this could be an interesting discussion, especially for those of us that don't have a dedicated playroom.

I have a similar quandary over notice boards. I work with 3 sets of parents, all in the education profession, ex colleagues or current friends. ( one is an EY advisor) . We talk at drop off and pick up. There is nothing that I really need to display for their benefit. Compulsory registration certificate? They know I have it, they have seen it. Insurance certificate? Same. Why I have to display the ofsted poster defeats me because I am sure if they ever did want to complain, they wouldn't stand in my hall and write down the phone number, or now, link ! Give them a copy - yes, but they are intelligent people and can use google ( and mine are all well familiar with the ofsted site!) I send them menus, which can be accessed at any time via ' the online system that can never be mentioned'. I email them planning as it is individual to their child and discussed with them.
I have two magnetic red glass squares that I pop on certificate and poster because I do what I am told, and they fit in with my hall decor when not in use, but it isn't necessary and no amount of putting things on the wall is going to make me a better childminder. It's how I care and play with LO's that makes the difference I think.

Good question Flora Dora...who is the display for?
If we think of Reggio....why would the preschools display the children's work in the local piazzas for the whole community to see? they have exhibitions ....and why is the children's work in Reggio the focus of everything?
Our method often points to 'the end product'...but I believe there is more than that?

I think there are displays made for Ofsted and...those made for the children to comment and revisit their experience
Often nursery/school displays are so high that children can hardly see them especially when they are sitting down on a carpet...they are also far away so children cannot touch or comment on details...they are perfectly displayed which means children have had little input in them?

Why display the Ofsted poster for parents?...not sure except many are terrified not to...the guidance says 'providers should display'...not MUST display.

The poster could be printed for parents and given in their info pack ...why has it got to be on a wall? I am sure if parents need to co0mplain the poster is the last resource they would go to....and who would remember the link to the website on that poster?

natlou82
05-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Good discussion I have a playroom so it doesn't bother me putting things on the wall in there. But I don't have anything CM related in my lounge, and if I only had a lounge I would have the bare minimum displayed. If the OP is still considering it, what about a clip frame super cheap and easy to move?

Karen1
05-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Thank you kiddleywinks. This would be perfect- few pieces pf art work and can clear my dresser of all the documents. Brilliant. Thank you and my room will stay like a front room. :)

mum67
05-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Why not cut the back off cereal boxes and make mini boards for the children to put up at home, take a photo of the children with theirs for LJ. Use it as an activity for a day in your planning.

I just have a clip board which I put to the side each night, certificate on front, register inside left and poster inside right, job done nothing on wall.

All my displaying is outside in the garden. Ofsted will let me know if it is suitable or not on first inspection so not changing anything until then. I still have enabling environment indoors but it is minimal yet covers everything. (I think)

Karen1
05-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Kiddlewinks do you know the reference for this cabinet as cant find it in the range online shop????

Kiddleywinks
05-10-2014, 07:58 PM
The lady made it herself.

She used two mirrors from the range, some hinges, and had a frame put round a notice board.
I would imagine wilkinsons, b&m or the like would have similar mirrors, not just the range...?

mama2three
06-10-2014, 06:07 AM
To make something like kiddleywinks idea just google bathroom wall cabinet - there are lots that would work the same way as the homemade one , many don't look 'bathroomy' and could suit your style .

Unlike many of you I love displays around , some start off as 'adut led' and may be enough just to start a talking point or new idea - then soon get filled up with childrens masterpieces , things they find here or at home that link in. They are rarely 'tidy' as they are mainly child height and invite children to discover the items and choose the related books. Children and parents love them , and they are mainly mounted on canvases that are light and easy to stick behind the sofa or in the shed when Im not working ( I don't have a playroom either)

Presentation Boards (http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1717354/Presentation-Boards/)
These boards work really well too , very simple , I use them for table top displays ( well , I used to , I make something the same now whenever I get large cardboard boxes rather than buy more)

Kirstylob
06-10-2014, 11:40 AM
I work from my living room / dining room and have a small display board in my hallway. Its a canvas so very light and easy to move.
Other artwork and things we collect will be added as we go. The pictures I display are because the child made more than one picture and took one home and when we have finished with the display the pictures will go in the child's folder.