PDA

View Full Version : Overnight care?

cloud9
30-07-2008, 10:40 AM
i know some people on here are registered for overnight care but could you tell me how to you go about applying.
Do you just write a letter and they say yes or no or do they do a visit or something?
Al ot of parents are asking me to offer this service and i have been thinking about it for a while but have put it off because i want sure how much effort it would take with ofsted!

Any advice would be great.:laughing:

Donkey
30-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I heard that you have to have mains fitted smoke alarms, but not sure how true this is. also you may need to have the firemen out to establish how you would evacuate everyone in the event of a fire

im sure someone else with more experience will give you the correct advice

good luck

Pudding Girl
30-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Might be diff in Scotland, but we have to have a more intesive fire escape plan, we have to ensure all doors in the house are closed at night to prevent spread of fire, and yes you need mains smoke alarms, one for each floor and an extra one in the bedroom used, and all to be linked up.

Helpinghands
30-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, I am in Cambridgeshire

I have just registered for overnight. They did not need to come back and visit me, they just asked a few questions on the phone and wanted me to read the standards for overnight care and understand them. (OFSTED)

You do not have to have a special smoke alarm system..which is a shame because I was quite looking forward to having a fireman visit me! ;)

Heaven Scent
02-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm registered for overnight care and although I've had the firemen to visit and they fit extra smoke detectors to my house and loft - it was not a requirement of ofsted and the inspector didn't look at the bedrooms or upstairs at my inspection in April. Also all my smoke detectors are battery operated - they tend to be mains operated in modern houses like my last house which was built in 1997 I don't know when this started though - She didn't even look at my fire escape plan nor any of my fire safety records.

I hope this helps.

wendywu
02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I used to mind two children funded by social services. When they wanted me to sleep them two nights a week they just put it on my certificate and the whole house is registered. But that was years ago, before Ofsted. :)

LittleMissSparkles
02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Im registered for overnight care of one child aged 2+ you have to meet additional standards to register for overnight care, when i had my pre inspection and my graded inspection they did inspect the bedroom i use but every inspector is different some will wnat to lookand others wont bother. I have main fire alarms but our house is only 2 years old thats the only reason why. xxx

Angela234
02-08-2008, 08:20 AM
I got registered for overnight care at my last inspection she just looked in my bedroom. I don't have mains smoke alarms and haven't had a fireman visit. I am registered for 2 overnight only ever had 1 enquiry which came to nothing i'm not bothered just thought it would be handy to be registered.

Angela

LittleMissSparkles
02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
I got registered for overnight care at my last inspection she just looked in my bedroom. I don't have mains smoke alarms and haven't had a fireman visit. I am registered for 2 overnight only ever had 1 enquiry which came to nothing i'm not bothered just thought it would be handy to be registered.

Angela

same here had no interest but handy to have just in case xxx

katie0183
02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
I literally registered for overnight care yesterday. On my pre-registration i said i would apply later for overnight care, because of this they had to come out and see me. To be honest the inspector was lovely, she checked i could unlock and lock the windows, my overnight care policy how i felt i would include the child into my household... gave me advice... was really impressed that on our tooth brushes we have travel covers so they dont stick together and touch one another and that i had spares for children if they wanted to stay over. Checked my fire evacuation policy, was really impressed i had the fire officer round earlier on that week. She gave me advice of outstanding practice, for example getting some of those stick on hooks so that each child can have there own hand towel rail (i normally have them hanging on the bath) Told me about some good stuff called Rock Mold am still researching it... its like plastic but when put in water it turns into something like plaster of paris. I dont have mains fire alarms but i do have 1 upstairs one downstairs and one in the spare bedroom. Hope this helps

Pudding Girl
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Must be just Scotland then that are really up on fire regulations in regards to Overnights - Have to admit I find that a bit shocking really