PDA

View Full Version : Odd Parent Meeting

Tealady
30-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Not sure if I can say I have a good feeling or a bad feeling about a meeting I just had.

Two days a week for a 3yr old and her older sis who is the year above DD at school.

In a short telephone conversation and an hour long meeting today, I now know an awful lot about the Mum's personal business. She seems to have been through a lot and they may even be relocating very soon, although she wants to stay local as her children are all settled in school but it depends on where they might be housed. She didn't ask me that much about my provision but told me about her children (and some).

We did get on well but I can't work out if she was not to fussed about everything because she liked me and trusted me, or if she just wasn't that serious.

I'm emailing a draft contract later so I suppose we'll see how serious we are once she's had a look over that. You normally get a gut feeling over something but I truly don't this time. I think it could all go well but then part of me recons there is a strong chance of it all going tits up and ending badly.

Hmmmm.

smurfette
30-09-2014, 12:54 PM
It could be that she is happy enough with you and has gone with her gut.! Also maybe If it's not likely to be a permanent thing if she may move she isn't stressing too much about it. I have had some very definite parents who have surprised me with how quickly they have booked a place and others have needed longer to consider the ins and outs! Hope it goes well for you!

AliceK
30-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I usually find the ones that are chatty and open quite quickly are the ones who want to use my services. They obviously feel relaxed and happy with what they have seen / heard and the meeting is very often just like having a friend over for a coffee, relaxed and easy.
I would say judging by all the in's and out's of her life she has told you that she feels relaxed and will want to use your service :thumbsup:

xxxx

Tealady
01-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Well she did come across as being a bit flakey, lots of jobs/houses/partners. I did give her the benefit of the doubt, thinking she may have just had a raw deal in recent years however, I saw her earlier this evening on a local FB page asking for recommendations for a childminder.

I then emailed her to ask if she was no longer considering me. I had said I'd send her over some more info but when I saw this I didn't want to do all the paperwork for no reason. Now apparently she may need wrap around care (which I can't offer) as she didn't realise she couldn't just pull her daughter out of Pre-school without notice however her post did say she may consider full days.

All that coupled with the fact that half hour before our meeting yesterday, she texted to say she couldn't come so wanted to come today instead. I had been stuck in all morning waiting so said I couldn't so would have to be Friday or next week. She then said she would make it after all but be 5mins late. She obviously did show (half hour late) and when offered a cuppa declined as she had already had four that morning already, so not sure what she was doing that she wanted to cancel.

A few things she said didn't add up and after sleeping on it and todays social media activity, I think I may have filled the space. It would be a good earner but I worry about her reliability and commitment.

natlou82
02-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Yes even if she did come back to you I think she would be very difficult to work with, good luck filling your space :-)

hectors house
02-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Sounds unreliable - I would say space has been filled.

I had a lady contact me few weeks ago for temporary care, she turned up half an hour late, gave me her whole life history - I gave her an all about me form to take away and complete, she said she would get back to me with dates, haven't heard anything so text her this week to see if she has sorted dates out yet, still hasn't replied. Oh well it was only temporary for a few weeks but the money until the new baby starts in November would have been useful! Think if she does contact me now, the answer will be "too late"!

smurfette
02-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Yep lucky escape!