PDA

View Full Version : Having a child 3 hours a day

covgalxxx
28-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I have been having a little one 3 days a week 12-6 been fine, but now picking up from nursery , which is hard so leaving at 11:30am nursery finishes about 11:55am we don't get back to mine till nearly 1pm, as she walks slow very slow, moans how far is it to get back to mine, her parents drive everywhere, she is 4 in April, going school next year. So don't really believe in the buggy board for a 15/20 min walk, anyway mum asked me if I could do a extra day, said I can do Wednesday but only up to 2:30pm/3pm due to to many after school children, so she was a bit disappointed but then came back for me to have her little one 12-3pm on the other 2 days, I said yes to this before the nursery run, she hasn't told me when she wants me to start so haven't signed nothing , but I don't want to do it now just seems a waste of my time, she has wet her self before getting to mine on the nursery run and parents keep forgetting to put spare clothes or even remember a bag for her, I'm telling them each time they come to pick her up, all I get is oh she doesn't do that normally, I want to say well you do drive everywhere, she not used to the walking , I don't drive so I need her to get used to walking with me, so anyone know how to word this to the parent, I'm happy for the 3days a week to say the same , just don't want to do the other 2 days ....

Mummits
29-09-2014, 08:11 AM
I have been having a little one 3 days a week 12-6 been fine, but now picking up from nursery , which is hard so leaving at 11:30am nursery finishes about 11:55am we don't get back to mine till nearly 1pm, as she walks slow very slow, moans how far is it to get back to mine, her parents drive everywhere, she is 4 in April, going school next year. So don't really believe in the buggy board for a 15/20 min walk, anyway mum asked me if I could do a extra day, said I can do Wednesday but only up to 2:30pm/3pm due to to many after school children, so she was a bit disappointed but then came back for me to have her little one 12-3pm on the other 2 days, I said yes to this before the nursery run, she hasn't told me when she wants me to start so haven't signed nothing , but I don't want to do it now just seems a waste of my time, she has wet her self before getting to mine on the nursery run and parents keep forgetting to put spare clothes or even remember a bag for her, I'm telling them each time they come to pick her up, all I get is oh she doesn't do that normally, I want to say well you do drive everywhere, she not used to the walking , I don't drive so I need her to get used to walking with me, so anyone know how to word this to the parent, I'm happy for the 3days a week to say the same , just don't want to do the other 2 days ....

Personally I would stick with it for the child's sake as a healthy child should be up to moderate exercise and is storing up all sorts of potential problems for later life if they don't get it. I have had a few like this - brought up to be driven everywhere and not equipped for a journey they should literally take in their stride. I can only suggest what I have done - make the journey home as much fun as possible, chatting and distracting to make the walk go quicker, maybe even having a few word or spotting games as you go, maybe a sticker for a whinge-free trip. I have also had to have a fair few stops for wees in the bushes (not me, them!) until the little ones have got used to "going" before they leave school or nursery - not ideal, but better than soggy pants. FWIW all mine got used to it and now walk miles.

VeggieSausage
29-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I would speak to parents and say that she is taking along time to walk the journey as she says she doesn't want to do it and maybe they can speak to her. My own dd was very irritating and moaned when she had to walk anywhere and we walked everywhere!! it was a phase and now you would never think she would be like that......an hour seems extreme, can she hold you hand or the buggy so she is sort of propelled a bit quicker.....or make a game to see how fast you can get somewhere.....

chris goodyear
29-09-2014, 11:42 AM
We've all had children like this who have never had to walk anywhere but with our encouragement they do fine. I had 2 sisters (about 3 & 4 years old) who used to take 1/2 hour + to walk the 10 - 15 minute walk from playschool and I was literally dragging them along to start with. I just left earlier and earlier so we weren't late and gradually they sped up till eventually they were walking at a good pace. I know this is not always possible but if you can it's a good way to teach them that walking is fun and you can see lots more interesting things on the way and stop to blow dandelion clocks or jump in puddles!