PDA

View Full Version : room to mind

lavenderrose
30-07-2008, 08:03 AM
How many people have special rooms they childmind in. When i look on peoples websites i can see relly nice rooms set aside for childminding purposes. In the ideal world i am sure everyone would love a childminding room, i know i would:D , but unfortunately i only have a small house and although we have a good size garden with a very large decking area and paved area as well as grassed areas , i do not have a seperate room to use for little ones.
what are peeps thourghts on this

angeldelight
30-07-2008, 08:11 AM
I dont think it matters to be honest

Most parents like that your home is your home and that is why they come to you - they dont want something that looks like a nursery setting

I have always had to use the rooms that the family use and its never been a problem

I have now got my play room - but will still use other rooms too

The only advantage to using a room just for minding is the fact that you can close the door at the end of the day and leave the " mess" there haha

Angel xx

SimplyLucy
30-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't have a special room, the children use my lounge which is a walk through to my large kitchen diner which leads out into the garden.

Some days I do wish I could shut the door on my work at the end of the day. BUT I have 4 children of my own so there would be toys etc everywhere anyhow!

NAOMIM221
30-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I've just had a consevatory built to have for my childminding, but I still use my living room as a quite area, for them to read, relax and maybe watch a film. Its nice to have a area for them to have all there toys, but I think no matter what space you have you always manage to make the area work for you.

Naomi

LOOPYLISA
30-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I have a large lounge that leads into a fairly big dining room, ill be using the dining room, only prob later on will be my step son(14) the dining room is where he has to sleep at the mo as we only have a 2 bed house, im sure he will be fine looking up at abc posters and dolls next to him.......(not!):laughing:
Later on we are thinking of having a consevatory fitted-extra space :clapping:

sarah707
30-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I added a conservatory earlier this year and it's made a big difference to for storage as well as playing.

It was ok before though, I used the dining room for the toys.

It doesn't matter how you set it out, so long as you can live with the inevitable mess :D

Mollymop
30-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't have a playroom or seperate room for childminding purposes. I wish I had though.
Alot of minders I know have a dining room or conservatory that they have made in to a playroom which makes me feel inadequate, but the parents still come to me and I don't thtink they expect me to have a dedicated playroom. We are childminders after all not a nursery. xx:)

Tatia
30-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't have a decicated room for childminding. I have a dedicated house!:rolleyes: Seriously, it's taken over everywhere. My husband has drawn the line at "wash your hands" and "please flush the toilet" posters in the bathroom, though.:laughing: Mostly, I use the dining room as that's where all the toy storage is (in wicker baskets so I can at least pretend at end of the day) but I set the living room up as quiet area with a small tent for a den, books and the writing desk/resources. Plus I usually set up a messy activity in the kitchen, like playdough or painting.

I'd love to have a playroom but I like being able to spread out a bit, too.

Pudding Girl
30-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't have a special room but I use my kitchen diner and although we do use the dining area for meals, it's otherwise a dedicated childminding room - although we make use of the rest of the space equally.
My cousin had an extension built especially for her to mind in.

Donkey
30-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't have a dedicated room either, I have a small utility area that I am planning to have storage in there with a picture book to still allow free choice, as well as having some activities set out.

I guess I will find out if my plan works or not :)

aly
30-07-2008, 11:03 AM
we only have a small house too. we are hoping to extend [when we get money] and then we will gain [more rooms upstairs] but also a dining room/playroom.

I think there are a few people on here that childmind in their flats. I dont think there is a problem with size.

tomthumb
30-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a fairly small house but I am lucky enough to have a conservatory at the back. I have always used it as a playroom (even before I started minding). Still the toys seem to be everywhere round my house!
It is nice though to 'throw' everything in there in the evening and close the doors!! I also like the fact that I can put up all the posters and drawings etc in there.

Elodie XX