PDA

View Full Version : feeding gagging one year old

Karen1
26-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi

I have a 13 month old for the last month. Mum provides food, yogurts and ella pouches of stage 1. So all purree food. If i have him earlier its porridge, but it has to be runny, no lumps or he will gag and choke . Then will refuse food.

I raised it with mum who said its because hes settling in!! Trouble is his mum gavenotice due to job move and moving in five weeks.

What should i do? Raise this with someone else? As they are moving out of county.

I did offer him rusk but he refused and screamed. Feel like he has now got issues with lumps. How do i attempt to help, knowing he will be gone soon. Or even raising it again with mum, surely he should be eating more than yogurts and puree now?

Tia

QualityCare
26-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Ideally yes he should be eating more solid lumpy food and often first time mums are wary about moving on to next stage feeding, as he is leaving l wouldn't try and do anything about it, its going to be stressful enough for mum and unsettling for the child with moving without trying to change eating habits as well hopefully who ever he moves on to will help and advise mum. I would continue to give him rusk, pieces of banana and other soft finger foods at snack times he will eventually eat it and then just mention to mum what he has eaten.

sarah707
30-09-2014, 08:44 PM
I am following parents with baby led weaning at the moment with a 9 month old who eats pretty much everything in front of her, mostly with her fingers - she will take a spoon occasionally if it's something she likes.

I'd suggest putting food in front of him and letting him explore it - no expectation of eating but make sure he's hungry so he is more likely to pop it in his mouth - see how he gets on :D

Karen1
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Hi

A month on and this child is still gagging (badly) and will only eat puree food. I have contacted my local support dietitian and she advises to carry on what i am doing with the baby led weaning, but he will just cry and throw it all on the floor. She also suggested playing with food, sensory activities- which i have, but he will not even touch it, just cries and walks away. Also said to tell mum to go to the health visitor and get the ball rollign before she moves county.

Now how do I word this to her, - Should I add/remove stuff from this>>>>How to get across that I am trying to help before he moves. as concerned he will have new childminder and be eating the same for another three months before it is raised as mum will fob her off like me, then he wwill be older again and be harder to eat.

Hi xx
From the All about me form you noted that xx will choke during eating solid food and during his time with me, I have noticed that he only prefers smooth pureed foods. Unfortunately he is gagging if food has lumps in and I am concerned that he is not eating solid or finger foods yet. In order to support him and move on to more textured food. I have been trying to encourage him to interact with food in a sensory and fun way with no demands on him that he eats it. These activities allow him to feel the food and become more familiar with it. Although, I have found that he is not interested in these activities and seems to become upset about seeing the food.
I would like to support you to encourage xx to start with lumpier foods before he moves to a new setting.
Could you send him some soft biscuits or finger foods that will dissolve easily in his mouth? That could be put on his tray during meal times to encourage him to eat, and also follow this at home.
I would also reccomend that you seek the advice of your health visitor to help move xx onto solid food.

????

Ideas ???