PDA

View Full Version : LO not brushing teeth

elaineg
26-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Hi, Does anyone have any tips for a mum of mine whos 20 month old girl refuses to let her brush her teeth. She says she has tried letting her look in a mirror and letting her try herself also different flavored toothpaste. She just screams as soon as she tries and she cant get the toothbrush in her mouth to clean them properly.

Any hints or tips would be helpful

Thank you

Elaine xx

Rickers83
26-09-2014, 07:54 AM
My DD was the same at around that age (shes 2 now), I downloaded the aquafresh brushing app.
It plays a song while they brush, my DD loved dancing around to it & because the character on screen is brushing their teeth she wanted to aswell.

When they're a bit older they also realise they earn coins when they brush & can "buy" outfits to dress up their character which my older dd6 enjoys

Mouse
26-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Colgate do a lot of games & activities on their website, so it might be worth having a look

Dental Hygiene Information For Parents - Build Healthy Tooth Brushing & Flossing Habits | Colgate Bright Smiles (http://www.colgate.com/app/BrightSmilesBrightFutures/US/EN/Program-Materials/Learning-Tools.cvsp)

gemma659353
27-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Buy a fun toothbrush of their choose? My son loves Spider-Man and his dad's electric tooth brush so we got him is own Spider-Man electric one and he brushes his teeth twice a day with no questions asked.

hectors house
28-09-2014, 11:35 AM
My mindees all have a toothbrush here and sit on the stairs to brush their teeth after lunch, before going to bed - it's just always been part of their routine, never get any problems. Parents know they have toothbrushes here and sometimes say in the morning, that child hasn't brushed teeth yet and could I do them with them.

SEAS13
30-09-2014, 09:49 PM
I remember a funny story I remember being read at school, which I also told my step daughter when she went through a phase of not brushing. Definitely done the trick! It was about a little boy who pretended to brush his teeth, and didn't, and he got a strawberry seed stuck. Then a strawberry plant grew out of his mouth, lol.

You could incorporate some funny stories into story time and see if it helps them along! I had a google to see if I could find this one, and couldn't, but there are plenty of others!

smurfette
02-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Apparently there is an episode of doc macstuffins about a dinosaur not brushing his teeth and he got bad breath and the other animals did not want to play with him.. Apparently its quite effective!