PDA

View Full Version : Paddling pools

tomthumb
30-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Morning

Just wanted to know what everyone was doing re paddling pools. I would like to put the paddling pool out but I am not sure if we are allowed with ofsted. My lo would love to splash around in it but she can't as I have mindees all day everyday which only leaves us the weekend and most times we are not around or the weather is not that great (typical!).

Thanks for your advice

Elodie XX

crazybones
30-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I use 2 small paddling pools when there are lo's here. I have a permission form included in my garden equipment permissions. Risk assess - I take the playpen out with me in case I have to turn my back for any reason and when the older ones are with them I have a huge list of rules for them to follow, although tbh they are small pools and they can only paddle in them.

LOOPYLISA
30-07-2008, 07:57 AM
We have a 10ft pool:eek: , my dd is always in it as its heated aswell, it would be such a shame for her to miss out but it does worry me even with my neice here, it will still be up for my pre reg, ill see wat she says? as were thinking about it coming down when im minding.

sarah707
30-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I have had a pool in the past - I have permission from parents and risk assessments.

My main problem was emptying it every night because of the risk of cross contamination because it wasn't the type you use chemicals with, just a paddling pool ... pain in the bum when you're on your own doing everything :(

PaulaR
30-07-2008, 10:24 AM
why do you have to empty the pool every night? What if the same children were getting back in it the next day?
Would be interested in what the pre reg lady says about the 10ft pool. Not that I have one but just in case.

Donkey
30-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I think if I do have a pool it will be a teeny tiny one thats literally for splashing in to keep cool

sarah707
30-07-2008, 11:11 AM
why do you have to empty the pool every night?

Well I risk assessed it and decided that I could not be sure...

- the cover had stayed in place overnight without rodents getting in (Wiles disease);

- a child had not done a wee (ewww);

- a child did not have an infection such as Staphylococcus aureus, which can make another child, esp ones with eczema or low immune system, very ill (potential hospital stay / setting closure);

- soil was not being transferred from children's feet to the pool (animal faeces);

- other people's children observed the same levels of hygiene as mine (cross infection and skin loss from dirty bodies / faeces and urine still on skin etc);

- flies and other insects that died in the water and bits of grass transferred from clothing (possible choking incidents);

- children did not have other infections which were not currently visible but which might result in cross contamination - matter from ears, noses, open, non visible wounds in older children, which you would not spot as you would not see them naked etc (cross infection / possible setting closure).

So anyway, taking all this into consideration, my risk assessment told me I should empty the pool every night and in the morning, spray and wipe with cleaning solution and refill.

Hope this clarifies :D

Minstrel
30-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I have one of those 10 ft ones although not minding yet just for my family and it comes with a filter pump for the grass and bugs etc ( use when pool is empty cos its electric) and also a chlorine solution to keep it clean. it takes 3,500 litres of water and 11 hours to fill (and longer to empty!) so could not be done every day!!!

tomthumb
30-07-2008, 07:35 PM
thanks for all your advice. I had a paddling pool policy and form ready for when mindee arrived and she was sooo pleased. My 2 had a great time as well. I should have done it ages ago!! :clapping:

Elodie X