PDA

View Full Version : lo likes to make baby cry

jackie 7
25-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I have a lo 18 months, she is not easy, always has to be first, pushes others out of the way, can't leave a child alone in they are in another car, tries to sit as close to others or on them if she can. She throws herself down and cries if I say no or change anothers nappy before hers. Yes a normal little madam grandmother was exhausted by caring for her. Now after being on short weeks she is back but has realised she can make the 6 month old cry when she cries for no reason. I am trying to give her lots of attention and lots of cuddles but I need advice on what else to do. Now when the baby gets used to her moaning it will be better. I had to get a play pen to protect him when she decides to sit on his head.

SEAS13
25-09-2014, 05:12 PM
It all sounds like attention seeking to me, and giving extra cuddles and allowing her to go first is just playing to what she wants. I'm not childminding yet, so perhaps some others will disagree with me here, but as a parent I would be taking a much firmer stance. If you need to use the playpen I would use it for time out. If she is tantruming or pushing I would tell her that isn't nice behaviour and to stop. If she does it again I'd put her in the pen and then ignore her while she lets off steam, or sit her down separately and see to the other children first. She will soon learn that her behaviour won't get her the attention she wants!

greanan
25-09-2014, 07:34 PM
I've a 19 month old who's feeling jealous of the new 6 month old mindee just now. Bit different to your situation but older mindee would cry and tantrum everytime I picked up baby, cry hysterically when baby cried and hated sitting next to her in double buggy. We've made huge progress though.. I know the other person said to be firm but for me I took the opposite approach instead and it seems to have worked. He's starting to understand he can still have cuddles etc even when I'm holding baby etc. he's an only child and used to being the centre of attention so when we first tried the firm approach it seemed to leave him worse

clareelizabeth1
25-09-2014, 09:20 PM
My DS is 21 months and I have just had a 3 month old start with me. He is not in anyway mean towards her instead I have an overexcited little man who as to go up to her and yell her name really loudly while handing her toys. Unfortunately she is also one who is hard to get to sleep and will only sleep in same room as others. so I have been giving him very firm no's and telling him to play away from her. If he does wake her she gets all the attention till she has settled again. Then I go to my son say a is settled now we can play. It has taken two weeks but he has the message now and he looks to check she is awake before yelling her name now.

toddlers896
26-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Jackie I had this with one of my mindees. She is three and always picks on the younger ones. One day I caught her lying on top of a child with a big smirk on her face and the other time the childs foot was in the door and she was pulling it shut laughing as the child was screaming. Ime sure she does it for attention as she is good as gold when its just me and her. I told the mother and made it clear that I will not accept this behaviour. If it doesn't stop she wont be coming. She told me that she plays with a child that is very naughty and her child is copying him. she told she she wont get to play with him anymore and her behaviour is much better. her pushing and pulling is no where nearly as bad as it was but she does sometimes do thinks to make them cry when I am not watching.