PDA

View Full Version : How much notice?

redtiger21
25-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Hi all, I posted quite recently humming and ahhing about giving up a couple of days a week- thanks to all of you who advised me. I've decided it's definitely something I'm going to do, but I'm worried about how much notice I should give. My contract only says 4 weeks for changes, but I definitely want to give them more time than that. Does 1st Jan sound like enough time? It will mean saying goodbye to 2 families completely,as well as other children who will have to have some days with me and some days at another setting (if they don't bail on me completely of course, which is a risk I take). X

smurfette
25-09-2014, 07:40 AM
It probably depends on how much you need the money (in case they look for alternative care and leave earlier .. To cover yourself write something like 'this change will take place from 1st January, should you decide to seek alternative care the four week notice period in our contract still applies.: sure someone else can word this better!) and how likely they are to be able to get care on the days you don't want to do / change their days with other settlings to accommodate you

It's a fine line in between! What have we got Til January now, about 13 weeks? I would probably give about 6-8 weeks, maybe from end October? But that's a personal choice

No help really am I?!! Good luck with it and well done on making the decision sounds like it's the right one for you and I am sure it's a weight off xx

Mouse
25-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Now that you've made the decision to cut down I think setting a firm date is a good idea. 1st January sounds a good choice - new year, new start.

I would probably give notice of the changes after the October half term. That gives them 2 months to find alternative care, which should be quite long enough. If they do give notice to finish completely, it would also give you time to advertise with your new hours.

redtiger21
25-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Thank you guys- I definitely feel reassured that I'm not totally dropping a bomb then!