PDA

View Full Version : What do you regret most?

toddlers896
24-09-2014, 12:05 PM
So how many of you start something in this job and wish you hadn't.

I opened a group page on Facebook and add photos everyday so the parents can see what we have been doing. It was another of my act now think later decisions and I wish I hadn't. Parents love it but every day I am taking photos of kids and then upload them every night. Oh well only myself to blame so unless I have an excuse to stop doing it I better carry on. My husband does keep telling me I like to make more work for myself. Maybe one day I will listen to him instead of being so stubborn and saying yea what ever !!:laughing:

So what do you regret doing?

CookieCutter
24-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Could you upload photos before little ones go home? I use an online diary/paper work system which I update with photos daily, but I do it all during nap time or just before home time. I used to do it in my own time, but how many other people have to do loads of work in their own time?

My biggest regret is agreeing to a term time only contract with no charge in holidays! It was for my first mindee and it took months for anyone to come along, so I was getting desperate. I didn't think it would matter too much because I felt sure I could fill the space with someone who just needed care in the holidays, and I also had another EY space (one is for my own daughter). It didn't work out as I'd planned, though, because I realized having an older child just for school holidays wasn't financially viable as I don't normally look after schoolies so would have had to spend loads of money on resources to entertain. Also, I've had to limit my own numbers as my daughter requires more supervision than most children her age, meaning I would really struggle to look after 3 at the same time.

Mouse
24-09-2014, 03:13 PM

I opened a group page on Facebook and add photos everyday so the parents can see what we have been doing. It was another of my act now think later decisions and I wish I hadn't. Parents love it but every day I am taking photos of kids and then upload them every night. Oh well only myself to blame so unless I have an excuse to stop doing it I better carry on. My husband does keep telling me I like to make more work for myself. Maybe one day I will listen to him instead of being so stubborn and saying yea what ever !!:laughing:

I would message parents and say that much as you love putting photos on the facebook group, you're finding it too time consuming to do it every day, so will be reducing it to a weekly update :thumbsup:

hectors house
24-09-2014, 03:20 PM

I do similar every night but it's on child's on-line learning journal so I'm not duplicating the work as much as you. However I do wish I didn't have such high standards as now it's hard to cut back to retrieve my evenings, each time a new child starts I think "I won't do as much this time, the parents won't know" the trouble is I would know and I just can't make myself cut down.

toddlers896
24-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Could you upload photos before little ones go home? I use an online diary/paper work system which I update with photos daily, but I do it all during nap time or just before home time. I used to do it in my own time, but how many other people have to do loads of work in their own time?

My biggest regret is agreeing to a term time only contract with no charge in holidays! It was for my first mindee and it took months for anyone to come along, so I was getting desperate. I didn't think it would matter too much because I felt sure I could fill the space with someone who just needed care in the holidays, and I also had another EY space (one is for my own daughter). It didn't work out as I'd planned, though, because I realized having an older child just for school holidays wasn't financially viable as I don't normally look after schoolies so would have had to spend loads of money on resources to entertain. Also, I've had to limit my own numbers as my daughter requires more supervision than most children her age, meaning I would really struggle to look after 3 at the same time.

Is there no way out of the term time only contract or do you feel you have to keep doing it. I suppose it's not very professional to end the contract but if it effects your business and numbers I would be tempted to look for another one. I agreed to do a 645 start and drop off at school but it is a terrible time to start and hated it so I've told her I've taken on more early years and can't get them all up to the school. Sometimes we just have to do these things if it's not working xx

SEAS13
24-09-2014, 03:39 PM
You could use the photographs to your advantage by using them records of evidence of learning outcomes via one of the apps. I've had a couple recommended to me that seem to make the paperwork side easier. You can then email the pics to parents or if they still want FB, only upload them once a week, rather than every day?