PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Social Service Check from Local Authority for 3 months Already!!!

motheroftwo6
23-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Can anybody give me some advice what I should do now?

I sent my application to Ofsted on 1 June 14 and was told by Ofsted that they sent request to Blackburn Council for myself and my husband's social service check on 25 June, now it's been 3 months and still waiting for my husband's check. When I called Ofsted in July I was told would receive result from local authority in 6 weeks. When I came back from holiday on 1 Sep and check the progress, I was shocked as still waiting for my husband's social service check. Called ofsted every week still no progress, called Ofsted again and told me I could call social service departement in Blackburn council to ask by myself, I called Blackburn but was told I rung wrong department then transfered me to children service department, but they didn't know what I was talking about, then called again after 2 hours, a lady seemed know what I was talking about but she said they only respond to Ofsted not me, if already passed the timeline Ofsted should raise to higher management in Blackburn Council. Then I called Ofsted what Blackburn council told me, Ofsted said they didn't know what is the reason it took so long time and it was out of Ofsted control, the only thing they can do was chase them by writing letters and wait.

I have invested lots of money on home settings and all the trainings I am desperate on the social service check back and open my business ASAP.

Can anybody advise me
*which department of local authority I should talk with to chase the check? Children Service?
*If I call Ofsted again what I should say? As they said the only thing they can do is wait.
*If I make a complain to Ofsted, does it help to push them to chase Blackburn council?

Sorry for the long story and thank you all for any advice.

NinkyNonk
24-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I feel your pain - I applied to Ofsted on 1st March (at which point I enclosed everything complete - DBS, medical, first aid, course complete etc)...and didn't get registered until beginning Sept. All this time it was the social services check which was holding everything up. They told me there were 2 separate checks - one was returned quickly, one was outstanding.

Anyway, the only advice I can give you is to absolutely hound Ofsted and insist on being put through to applications and the person who is dealing with yours. Unfortunately I didn't do this until August - although I did call every single week for 2 months, but only spoke to whoever answered the phone who fobbed me off with various excuses. Once I got through to applications, he dealt with it there and then and within an hour called me back saying he'd spoken to SS and they have emailed clearance. 1 week later I had my inspection!

I don't know if you can call SS yourself, I had varying responses from Ofsted on that - but in all honesty I tried, but finding the person who was dealing with it was completely impossible.

Good luck, hope they get you sorted soon.

motheroftwo6
24-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Thank you for your advice. Indeed every time I called Ofsted I was told varies, even today. I insisted them to call SS not just re-request of checking, they said they would put a note on my case. I will definitely call Ofsted again tomorrow to speak to the person who is dealing with my application, hope it is possible.

Jemma999
27-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I too feel your pain, and just by coincidence applied to ofsted on 1st June with DBS etc. all completed and have received my registration certificate today!

When my social services checks didn't come back (they had 3 counties to go to, and only 1 replied) I rang the councils myself. It took a lot of going round the houses trying to get to the right people, but it was the Children's services department who found out the information for me. I was just very nice and apologetic explained how unhelpful ofsted were to the people at the council and they took pity on me, do make it clear to them that you don't want to know any information from the report just whether the request has been received or not. In my case the two councils had not received requests. When I rang ofsted back to inform them the requests were not received they said they would 'let application know that they might want to re send it', at this point I got VERY insistent that it had to be re sent and someone check it was received with the council and then let me know, at this point they gave me a named person who did this for me. Both councils checks were back 48 hours later!

Good luck, remain polite but insistent with ofsted, start telling them about loss of earnings etc and don't leave without the answer you want.