PDA

View Full Version : Should i say something and if so, what?!!

smurfette
23-09-2014, 03:41 PM
So further to my last thread about us having the dreaded head lice I had an interesting conversation with my 2.5 year old boy mindee with long hair today! He had something stuck in his fringe, and he said to me 'it's not too itchy' and I said 'did mum out something in your hair?' And he said 'yes in a box' !!

Now I may be jumping to conclusions but we have had this since the girls were off on holidays for the summer, and they did one summer camp which may be where it came from but it's either that or the mindees! I haven't said anything to the mums yet cos I was hoping we are clear this week and we all have our hair well back and on buns , but now I am thinking there he is with long hair always in his face!!

I don't want to outright ask her, but if I say that we have them and will she check she is hardly gonna admit it if he has am I?!!! Poor kid has awful cradle cap too so could do with a hair cut and it being sorted!

smurfette
23-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Oh my word he has just randomly said 'oil on head' and 'chemist' ! So that's definite then!!

SEAS13
23-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I would be tempted to draft a headlice policy and hand it out to all parents. But what I would do is wait a day or two so that if she doesn't say thing and it originated with her LO, she will at least think oops!

jackie 7
23-09-2014, 05:47 PM
time for norah the nit nurse ! Check his hair and ask Mum if she has treated it.

smurfette
23-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I would be tempted to draft a headlice policy and hand it out to all parents. But what I would do is wait a day or two so that if she doesn't say thing and it originated with her LO, she will at least think oops!

And would I mention we had them ? What would be in such a policy? In a way I don't blame her lot mentioning it but I would rather have known.. At least we have our hair tied back tightly his isn't!!

smurfette
23-09-2014, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE="jackie 7;1379126"]time for norah the nit nurse ! Check his hair and ask Mum if she has treated it.[/QUOTE
I would be tempted but I have enough doing me and the three girls :( I did have a look and think I saw some black dots alright

She may not know she needs to keep combing or retreat in 7 days but the packs are clear enough

Mouse
23-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Oh my word he has just randomly said 'oil on head' and 'chemist' ! So that's definite then!!

It could have been treatment for the cradle cap?

If it is headlice treatment mum might think he's got them from your house & doesn't want to embarrass you be saying anything.

I would send a letter to all parents saying there has been a case of headlice within your setting and you're asking them to check their child's hair & treat if necessary.

k1rstie
23-09-2014, 08:25 PM
I would send a letter to all parents saying there has been a case of headlice within your setting and you're asking them to check their child's hair & treat if necessary.

Great advise I think.

My rule is that all long hair is tied up. I say to parents that it is good training for school! I have a box of new hair bands that the kids can have if required. They are in a sealed box and are never recycled.

SEAS13
24-09-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm pretty sure my DDs school has a policy and it says something about long hair being tied up and informing a teacher as soon as they are noticed so that other parents can be advised to check children's hair. The letter is a good idea, and this is a good opportunity to introduce a policy if you wanted to.

gwm
24-09-2014, 02:39 PM
If I have advised by parent that their child has/had headlice or if I have noticed any invaders in childs hair, I send a text to all parents saying 'A case of headlice has been reported in my setting. Please take this opportunity to check your child's hair and treat if appropriate. Please confirm that you have received this text.'