PDA

View Full Version : Bringing toys to the setting

toddlers896
22-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Wow I am just amazed at what I saw this morning when I opened the front door :laughing: ........ Twins with a buggy each and a dolly ha ha ha. The funny thing was they really thought they could bring these toys into my home. I just looked at the parent and said ime sorry but the children don't play with prams in my house and they know this. I have two buggies round the back and a large garden for them to play in. She said ok they can take them round the back to play and guess what, it's a cold morning but no coats. They normally bring a book or a toy with them but honestly this is just taking the biscuit. At least I am laughing about it, six months ago I would be all stressed about it lol.

Mouse
22-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I get all sorts brought here. Last week alone we had a toy fire station, 2 bikes, a scooter and a dolls pram with 3 dolls in it. That's not including all the little toys that get brought along like action figures, cuddly toys etc etc.

The only time I've said no was when a parent turned up with bouncy castle complete with plug in pump :laughing:

FloraDora
22-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I am also happy that children bring their own toys and incorporate it into my day. Sometimes I ask them to bring something specific to enhance a topic, if I know they have them. I find some children are comforted by having their own things too. One of my LO's often brings his bike as he is learning to ride it and I have more time and opportunity to support him and help him practise between weekend sessions with parents.

If friction occurs with sharing then it gives me an opportunity to discuss and children to learn, on the whole they love sharing their own things and choose things to bring that they know the other likes. I only have small buggies so last week a pram and highchair for dolly came and was played with all day by all children including an after schoolie.

I think this is another thing that sets me aside from nurseries, I can incorporate their home life and individualness in to my day easily.

Jiorjiina
22-09-2014, 11:49 PM
I've had them bring in various toys. It always seems to be small things here so far, which go 'nice and safe in x's bag until mummy/daddy get here!' the moment they get distracted by something else.

One or two have a specific toy as a comfort object though, which is obviously different!

tess1981
23-09-2014, 11:13 PM
If there is no fights over toys they can take them from home .. I have two little girls here who squeal the place house down and would hit each other over toys brought from home. One of the girls (both are 2) will happily let me put her toy in her bag before the others arrives... she is with me for an hour on her own before others arrive. But I have seen some fights over the years about toys taken from home. And the smaller they are the worse it Is for me. Some kids take little card and figures about through out the day they get misplaced only for parent to ask where is it at the end of the day. I reply I will return it IF it turns up...

toddlers896
24-09-2014, 07:12 AM
I have no issue with toys from home either but when I say toys I mean dolls, teddies, books etc not buggies that they think they can bring into my home to wreck. I have a three year old that says everything is hers, she won't share her toys from home and then she tries to snatch their toys too so I take everything from home and it gets put away. I was just shocked on Monday to find two children and their adult standing at my door expecting to bring buggies in. Mmmm. If they brought a bike then it would stay at the front door so why on earth would she expect me to let her kids bring buggies indoors. Maybe ime too strict but that's the rules in my home ime afraid. It's to last me many years lol x

Mouse
24-09-2014, 07:58 AM
. Maybe ime too strict but that's the rules in my home ime afraid. It's to last me many years lol x

That's the key to it - your house, your rules :)

I think we all have different things that bug us, but maybe don't bother other childminders. I really don't mind children bringing toys from home, even bikes & prams. I don't mind if parents don't send sun cream, sun hats or coats (I have spares) and I don't mind if parents drop the children off with me then go back home to bed (all things I've seen others complain about).
But I do dislike parents arriving early to drop their children off (even 2 minutes early annoys me) and I know that doesn't worry a lot of people.

We all have our own niggles and need to stick to our own rules :thumbsup:

Maza
24-09-2014, 09:00 AM
The buggies would be a no no with me too. I have a no shoes policy so why would I want a pushchair in my house which has been used outside too? It's the little toys that annoy me too as they can easily get lost. I remember spending ages looking for a little lego toy once and then my family ended up eating a very late dinner because of it. I did it because the dad was quite grumpy with me because I hadn't sent it home the night before. Now that I have more experience I hope I would be firmer in those situations...

KateA
24-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Hi I advise my parents not to being any big toys like buggies as I have them or anything expensive also bring them is at their own risk I will not be held responsible for anything that gets lost or broken.

I too hate parents who think its ok to drop off early and pick up late and then get surprised when I charge them.

funemnx
24-09-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't mind children bringing toys in BUT it annoys me when parents ring at night to ask where it is and then pop over to collect it even though their little one is coming the next day! Grrr....

alex__17
24-09-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't mind toys coming in but hate when they don't want to share with other kids, if they don't share it goes back in their bags and no one plays with it.
Particularly annoys me siblings 3 and 18 months, 3 year old wont even let my son look at what she's brought from home yet she rips every toy of his out of his hands saying he has to share! The threat of her toy going if it isn't shared soon sorts it out these days thankfully!

bunyip
25-09-2014, 08:31 AM
When I started CMing, I considered a total ban on toys from home, but opted for a reasonable policy instead. I'd envisaged sharing to be the potential problem, but it rarely has been that. Instead, I have 2 problems:

1. Small parts. Despite newsletter pieces and chats with parents, explaining I have babies most days who will put tiny objects in their mouths, I still have the same children turning up with loom bands, Lego, etc. One little girl recently brought one of those hairdressing dolls. It resembled a grinning severed head with lots of predictably blonde flowing hair, combs, brushes, mirror, Alice-band, etc. All fine and dandy, except for the million tiny loose hair beads that came with it and were on the floor in seconds. :panic:

2. Mum whose 4yo is obsessed with action characters (Spiderman, Action Man, Hulk, etc.) He gets into scrapes at several settings cos he starts copying his TV heroes and play-fighting soon builds up to trouble. We've discussed it, she recognises the problem and says she wishes he'd never got into action characters. So we try to get him into other interests; not easy, cos even then he turns everything into a sword/knife/gun and not even the sheep on the farm set can get along without having to gang up and beat the living 5h1t out of the ducklings. :( Then he turns up here with toy Spiderman and GI Joe, or whoever, and it starts all over again. I mentioned the disparity between her desire to get him out of the behaviours linked with these toys, and sending them along with him. She just says, "I know, but he loves the toys and eveyone keeps giving him more for birthday, etc."

:doh: Gimme strength. :(

toddlers896
26-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I don't mind toys coming in but hate when they don't want to share with other kids, if they don't share it goes back in their bags and no one plays with it.
Particularly annoys me siblings 3 and 18 months, 3 year old wont even let my son look at what she's brought from home yet she rips every toy of his out of his hands saying he has to share! The threat of her toy going if it isn't shared soon sorts it out these days thankfully!

ha ha I think you have the little girl I have. she does exactly the same. she wont share but grabs everything out of the childrens hands saying share.:laughing:

lizduncan72
26-09-2014, 08:45 PM
ha ha I think you have the little girl I have. she does exactly the same. she wont share but grabs everything out of the childrens hands saying share.:laughing:

I must have her twin brother!! Exactly the same, won't share anything he brings from home but screams at my dd to share with him