PDA

View Full Version : Children from different backgrounds

zanacal
21-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi, I don't have any children with English as an additional language but one of my children was born in Australia and his dad is Australian. Another baby has an American mother who grew up in Austria and sometimes speaks German to her (as a second language). Would you do anything in particular for/with these children? The first child is 2 and the second is only a baby :)

zanacal
23-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Can anybody help?

SEAS13
23-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Perhaps try and get some story books or learn some nursery rhymes from those countries. Have themed days with different menus? You might be able to find some German baby programmes on YouTube? Celebrate things like national holidays that those countries celebrate, e.g thanksgiving?

Mouse
23-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Have you asked parents if they do anything to mark the children's heritage?

For the 2yr old I wouldn't do anything specific, but would bear in mind that they were born in Australia and would mention it just in every day conversation. So if it was a particularly cold day I would perhaps say how cold it was, but how in Australia, where X was born, it's probably very warm and sunny. Or if talking about animals, include kangaroos & koalas, saying that they live in Australia.

For the baby I would use a few German words (I speak a little German), or maybe try and get a German nursery rhyme CD to play in the background.

zanacal
23-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Thank you!

I did a German A-level many moons ago so I do say the odd word or phrase to the baby because I know mum does but when I asked her she didn't specifically want me to, only if I fancied it!

I mentioned the weather in Australia to the child's mum once and she said that where they lived it wasn't hot and sunny at all :) Great ideas though, thank you.

Kelly x

NinkyNonk
23-09-2014, 03:08 PM
I guess it depends on the parents....I have two mindees and their mother is German. They only talk in German at home, but out of the house in English - therefore the older child (3yrs) is bilingual. However, they specifically said for me not to do any German with the children...

zanacal
23-09-2014, 03:11 PM
I spoke to the mum and she's pleased I've been speaking some German and is bringing me some CDs and story books as well as a list of holidays they celebrate - both American and German!