PDA

View Full Version : Under 1s

LalaO
19-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm new to childminding but have been a nanny for 15 years. I have my own child who is only a couple of months old and have been approached by a mum with a child a similar age. Is having 2 children under 1 a definite no no if one is your own or is it best to chat to Ofsted about it. I have experience of looking after multiples, I just wondered if Ofsted would take this in account.

shortstuff
20-09-2014, 07:15 AM
As far as im aware it is only allowed if you had taken on the lo before you knew you were expecting.

But please dont quote me. I never asked as i wasn't and now can't have any more.

moggy
20-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Definitely only 1 under 1.
Unless you were caring for an under-1 and then you had new baby of your own, so therefore had another under-1.
Or if a minded child has a new baby sibling you could take it on, if you can do so without any negative effects on other children.
Or if you had an assistant with you.

Basically, both these scenarios are OK because it is in the best interests of the existing mindee to stay with you, rather than move elsewhere.
Each scenario would need RA and informing all parents.

You can not take on a new under-1 if you have your own under-1, as it is not in the child's best interests- they could find another CM who has no under-1s.

All can be argued till the cows come home, and Ofsted have different responses whenever asked it seems, so you have to make your own decisions on these 'variations' based on what it says in EYFS 2014.

LalaO
20-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Thank you for your replies.
It doesn't seem the mum minds but I guess I can't argue with Ofsted.

Rick
20-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Unfortunately mum won't be the one being downgraded for breaking the rules :(

Simona
20-09-2014, 09:07 PM

This is what the EYFS says on p25...read it and if you have questions ask for guidance
Cms who have their own baby can take on another baby in exceptional circumstances...this seems to be your case?
Check it out before you say no and RA appropriately ...if appropriate and you can show you can meet for both the babies' need you will not be downgraded and certainly not breaking the rules ...do some research on this then decide

3.42. If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and Ofsted inspectors or their childminder agency that the individual needs of all the children are being met, exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby.
If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.