PDA

View Full Version : Working in partnership with parents

Miss freckles
19-09-2014, 10:26 AM
This is something that I'm finding very frustrating, and also something a couple of cm's have had bought up in their inspection reports in my area.

At the moment I do daily diaries that no parent writes in despite me always telling them they can and telling them in every newsletter every term even if it's something very small.

I write termly newsletters telling them all about what we will be planning on doing that term, what we may be basing learning around, what they can do at home to extend the learning.

They have assessments every term where there is a section for them to add comments which they do ( this is the only evidence I have of them being involved) and I also add a section to that on things they can do at home to help.

I do parent questionnaires

I have a fb page which I update with photos of what activities/ outings we've been doing at least twice a week sometimes more as well as giving reminders, info etc.

I text and send pics during the day.

I just wrote another letter for them talking about working in partnership and how it can benefit the childrens learning etc etc, I also sent home wow slips and explained I would send them out every term and you can write anything on them, they all came back with nothing on them!

I spend so much of my time doing all of this for what seems no reason. All my parents are happy and just want their children to be happy and safe and prefer to just chat verbally everyday.

If parents are aren't giving me any written evidence how can I show it to Ofsted? I was thinking of making a working in partnership folder and writing down all the things I do, all copies of letters, wow slips etc I have sent out but would this be sufficient?

Ideas anyone :huh:

moggy
19-09-2014, 11:04 AM
If parents choose to communicate verbally then I would write down notes from the conversations- either in daily diary or in another sheet per child, to record it in writing. ie:

'17/09/14- 8am- mum at drop off - mum talked about how child X was enjoying xxx at home this weekend and thet X did xx for the first time. I said we'd get out the toy xxx so X can try here too' etc

It is more work for you but if you do it in daily diary they might then get the idea of the kind of thing you want them to write. Or if you want a safe copy to keep yourself then do it on your own sheets, or scan/photo daily diary entries and keep on PC etc.

Another idea, write in daily diary

'This weekend I did...' and leave a space to see if that prompts them more directly?

AliceK
19-09-2014, 11:14 AM
If parents choose to communicate verbally then I would write down notes from the conversations- either in daily diary or in another sheet per child, to record it in writing. ie:

'17/09/14- 8am- mum at drop off - mum talked about how child X was enjoying xxx at home this weekend and thet X did xx for the first time. I said we'd get out the toy xxx so X can try here too' etc

It is more work for you but if you do it in daily diary they might then get the idea of the kind of thing you want them to write. Or if you want a safe copy to keep yourself then do it on your own sheets, or scan/photo daily diary entries and keep on PC etc.

Another idea, write in daily diary

'This weekend I did...' and leave a space to see if that prompts them more directly?

I do a similar thing. I have a slip called Conversations with parents, I write on that anything in particular a parent has told me and staple it into my diary. I write loads of stuff in my diary and when I was inspected I made Mrs O read my diary so she could see these things.

xxx

Miss freckles
19-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I have what I call my daily diary which is a big a4 pad which I not everything in everyday so looks like I'm doing as much as I can be. Thanks

Simona
19-09-2014, 11:49 AM
My personal interpretation on 'working in partnership with parents' is not just about 'communication' which looks like most cms have in place via diaries, texts, newsletters and so forth

I think the EYFS is referring to partnership in learning...engaging parents with their child's learning...encouraging them to read to their children...help in guiding behaviour....sharing tips...contributing and feeding back on progress reports or such like and also for providers to support parents in their Home Learning Environment

Does anyone else think that?

Karen1
19-09-2014, 05:31 PM
I agree with you all.
And yes to Simona, i have sent out letters asking for family photos to add to an autunn tree im doing to encourage children to talk about themselves, differences, family etc. But so far no replies ir photos. I fully explained in letter reaslning and have a bare tree picture on the wall, waiting to start but no replies. It is disheartening and makes you feel like why do we bother. But will keep going.. i keep notes and records on everything on how i try to include parents.

bunyip
20-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Agreed. It's something I find very frustrating, and I have to guard against getting cross with the parents when they aren't the ones responsible for Ofsted's petty demands.

It's all part of the problem of being under Ofsted/DofE. In short, it is no longer enough to care for children, keep them safe, give them great life experiences, offer them some semblance of a childhood. Now, not only do CMs have to satisfy Ofsted, but we end up passing that same expectation and obligation on to parents too. :(