PDA

View Full Version : teething necklaces

ziggy
18-09-2014, 08:29 AM
7month old baby arrived wearing teething necklace today. Mummy says she takes it off at night, happy for me to take it off if I want to. So agreed to leave it on while she's up and awake but will remove it at nap time

Not keen on them to be totally honest. Does anyone else use them?

AliceK
18-09-2014, 08:33 AM
I don't like them either :panic:

xxx

shortstuff
18-09-2014, 08:37 AM
I had a LO who wore it as a bracelet. I wasnt impressed either as LO kept chewing on it.

ziggy
18-09-2014, 08:38 AM
wondering now if something happened to child while wearing it would insurance cover? think I will ring and ask

shortstuff
18-09-2014, 08:38 AM
sounds like a good idea and better to be safe than sorry.

AliceK
18-09-2014, 08:40 AM
I think they are meant to release some kind of chemical which helps with teething but that they are also okay to be chewed although I don't like the idea of a baby chewing on beads. Surely they are a hazard - choking, strangulation?? I must admit I don't know much about them but the whole concept makes me uneasy.

xxx

Mouse
18-09-2014, 09:00 AM
I have had children come wearing them & never had any problems.

If they are well made, each bead should be individually knotted, so if the necklace breaks they don't all fall off. The ones I have seen are quite short, so close to the neck & not long enough to reach a child's mouth for them to chew it. To be honest, the children are usually so used to them that they don't take any notice of them anyway. I'd much prefer them as a necklace than a bracelet.

I've left them on the children while they sleep.

clareelizabeth1
18-09-2014, 09:19 AM
My son has an anklet for a few months now he's 21months and doesn't notice it at all. I don't think he's ever played with it. It's as normal for him to have it on as it is to wear pants so he doesn't notice.

Check it has a knot in between each bead so if the worst does happen only 1 bead will fall off.

ziggy
18-09-2014, 09:28 AM
think i would prefer an anklet, I'm uneasy about things around necks of babies

clareelizabeth1
18-09-2014, 09:58 AM
think i would prefer an anklet, I'm uneasy about things around necks of babies

I know what you mean. It's why I got him an anklet I could just forget about it but I would always worry if it was around his neck. He's so active I could see him falling getting it hocked on something and strangling himself.

kellib
18-09-2014, 10:07 AM
I used to look after a 7 month LO who had one of those necklaces, I don't think I ever saw him touch it.

I wouldn't personally use them though as I think I'd always be worrying 'what if?'

Koala
18-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I had a lo come with a necklace, mum never even mentioned it, I was furious when I noticed it and took it straight off and popped it in her bag - it was still there 3 days later. I will not allow children to have anything around their necks, even scarves are not worn here. The risk is too high and is something I can do without.

k1rstie
18-09-2014, 11:38 AM
I remember reading on a teething necklace website, that they should not be long enough round neck to be chewed on, and each bead should be individually knotted,(then only one bead is lost). There is supposed to be a aspirin type chemical in the amber which is supposed to ease the pain of teething.

They were all the fashion a few years ago, there was much in the press and online about them( both good and bad!)

Daisy1956
18-09-2014, 03:20 PM
My grandson has an anklet, (I don't like anything around their necks) and to be honest he never touches it he has worn it for months and I don't think he notices it. I thought they had to be in contact with the skin so not loose.