PDA

View Full Version : Variations

Cinderbella
17-09-2014, 08:08 PM
I have a little one who has just started with me at the beginning of this month. This took me to 3 under 5's on a wednesday.
Since then I have had an existing child telling me she needs to add an extra day onto her childcare which is a Wednesday (I already have lo every other day) I was a little unsure of this as ive taken on new business and then straight away another has changed days an taken me over my numbers and upto 4, I tried to say no but she said she would lose her job if she couldnt swap so I have swapped.

Ok so my question now is ,,, one of my original children has a baby brother who was due to come to me in January now also requires the Wednesday .. It was always said that this lo would come to me as I have big brother and a very close relationship with the family but Wednesday wasn't agreed.

Can I do this or am I going to have to let someone down? I've tried juggling things but there is no swapping I can do to avoid this.

If I did it I would have 5 under 5's from 11.40am - 4.15pm (aged - 9months, 2, 2, 3, and 4) I would also have my own 2 from 3.15pm who are 6 and 9.
The 4 year old is at preschool in the morning and will go to school in September 2015 .

??

sarah707
17-09-2014, 09:36 PM
You can have 4 under 5 for continuity of care in these sort of circumstances :D

Simona
18-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Cms can also have 5 under 5...it has been well documented and written about by many cms who have legally done it and following EYFS variations

It is... of course... in exceptional circumstances and needs careful RA and huge resources and space....but it can be done

If a cm looks after 3 children and 2 of them have siblings that require care that would be allowed under continuity of care

This topic continues to cause lots of confusion and questions being asked constantly...if anyone is confused ring Ofsted and raise the matter

JCrakers
18-09-2014, 09:33 AM
You can do a variation if you feel you can give all the children the care they need. I have 4 everyso often and its blinkin hard work...lol

Think about how you will get out the house with 5 little ones..how will you get to school..do you have buggy or car space for all.

sarah707
18-09-2014, 07:19 PM
while 5 under 5 is theoretically possible admin do not advise it when a cm is working on their own because we have come across too many childminders who have been actioned at inspection for doing it.

Inspectors say that they are not meeting all the children's needs appropriately and teaching / learning is compromised.

I hope that clarifies :)

Simona
18-09-2014, 07:43 PM
while 5 under 5 is theoretically possible admin do not advise it when a cm is working on their own because we have come across too many childminders who have been actioned at inspection for doing it.

Inspectors say that they are not meeting all the children's needs appropriately and teaching / learning is compromised.

I hope that clarifies :)

That is why I did say it requires 'careful RA'...a lot depends on the environment and daily routine and ...above all...being able to meet children's needs of, possibly, very different ages and ability to cope every day
I know I could... if the opportunity came to me... but I would still carefully RA because each case is unique as is each child

I know of cms who have cared for 5 under 5 very well...it is a choice for the individual cm to make
I will have to disagree that 'admin' is entitled to make such a recommendation and ...of course...what Ofsted see on the day is very important...that is what RA is all about...my view of course

loocyloo
18-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I have cared for 5 under 5 on 2 occaisons. all children were very established with me, and each other and everyone got on very well. however, it was very hard work and although I had learning activities set up, there was more care involved than education. however, had they all been 3/4, I think it would have been different and much easier. my greatest achievement on those 2 days was getting all 5 children asleep at the same time !! woo hoo!:D