PDA

View Full Version : Difficult parents

starbuck85
17-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone, i need some help urgently please as i am a nee childminder and really struggling with my new kids.

Basically i agreed to take on 3 children under 8 (all siblings) as after school care. I was advised by the parents that their old childminder who they have had for about 3 years was no longer available hence looking for someone new. However, these children are now being picked up from mine by the old childminder and taken to hers every night nearly which is leaving confusion with the kids. They cant settle at mine as all they keep asking is when is she picking them up and one even said the other day they would prefer she was still collecting them. I expect the children to help tidy up the toys and say please and thank you but im starting to get the impression this isnt a big deal at the other childminders so they now sulk at mine all the time and ask things like "when are you going to buy us this and that??"

She has 4 kids of her own so there are lots of others to play with there where as i dont have any of my own but i have lots of toys, books, gardening equipment and toys and im constantly puttinf on films/ shows they want, making play dough, food etc...so i am putting the effort in to keep them entertained.

The problem im having is i dont see the parents at all as shes now picking them up....the mother goes to hers an hour later for collection. The only contact i have is through one journal a day and when i write a concern about them settling in she completelt ignores it. I cant ring them because they work late and dont have the time to talk.

I appreciate that while it is my choice id like opinions or advice on what to do. Does it sound like something that is contract ending or am i over reacting. Im going spare as i do everything right....set boundaries, provide a stimulating environment, allow free play and chill out, organise going to the park to let off steam etc, but one of the siblings especially just hates it and i feel like im such a let down. How can a 6 year old make me feel this way!!

Im going bonkers thinking how rubbish i am but my husband says i can only do so much and if im unhappy to end it. This isnt really the agreement i signed up to and 2 childminders in one day seems to be undermining my authority when they are in my home.

Anything would be appreciated thanks!