PDA

View Full Version : Quick head live help!!

smurfette
16-09-2014, 03:18 PM
so we have been struggling with this again,. Myself And my three girls with long hair! So far we have treated three times with full marks and one of my girls who didn't have them now does. Today I just conditioned and combed and found a live one on her hair.

So.. Do I treat again with full marks? Use something different? Just comb it out with conditioner ? What about my other girls so far have done one and I am not convinced she has anything but it's so hard to see sometimes isn't it?!!! Hhheeellllppp I am so fed up!!

smurfette
16-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Lol stupid auto correct .. Head lice obviously!

gwm
16-09-2014, 03:45 PM
The most effective way I found was to cover child's hair in conditioner(as they sit in bath....after their bath) and comb it through with nit comb...washing the little blighters down the sink. Repeat every 3 days, I think, to pick up any new ones until hair is 100o/o clear. It is time consuming but, you won't have used chemicals and the children will have lovely glossey hair. At our local school some of the parents arranged 'Nit weekends' where every parent in specific classes, was expected to treat their children's hair to try and break the continuous cycle of nit infestations.

Bumble Beez
16-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Oh I do feel for you honey...
Luckily I have never had a huge problem with my boys, however I agree that the conditioner route is definitely worth a go...
Repeat every three days, until all have disappeared...fingers crossed for you xx

JKL
16-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Conditioner definitely works, my mum also used to be a fan of the vinegar/lemon rinse. Lemon obviously smells much nicer but both work due to the acidity.

Literally just pour over all hair after doing the conditioner.

My sister spent 98% of her childhood riddled with the blighters! :D

xx

QualityCare
16-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Definitely conditioner and comb every 2-3 days until clear then once a week as part of hair wash routine.

loocyloo
16-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Mix a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil in 100ml pure alcohol ( I use vodka ) shake together and then massage the liquid into the scalp.
It doesn't get rid of them if you already have them but they don't like it and don't stay!

tori4
17-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm a bit queen can spot em a mile off and there eggs - a gd DVD, comfy seat and not come and I'm off pulling each one plus eggs out - the cycle is 2-3 days for an egg to hatch but they can lay their own eggs within a day so if u live one blighter in there u will have more eggs by the next day :-( hence why I try and get the eggs out too.

However not easy in girls hair

I dnot think the treatments work as well as just removing em - hardly any actually kill the eggs so with 24hrs u will like have a live one again laying more eggs

Once clear my mum swore by hair up and hairspray all throu the hair - it made the hair hardy to stick to so they are less like to pass from. Jane to Mary

Best of luck - ps I have found the walkers can't move as quick if they are wet so easy to pinch and remove

tulip0803
17-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I have always used the conditioner and nit comb method - much better than chemicals:). I use tea-tree conditioner on dry hair as that is supposed to be a deterrent. As the others say every 3 days until clear and then once a week. We used to watch a DVD while doing it. I also used to check their hair quickly by looking every couple of days.

Always use a metal comb the plastic ones teeth can move and let things through. The best comb I have found is the Nitty Gritty comb. It has extra long teeth perfect for long hair and has always removed the eggs from my both my DDs hair and I have been able to use it on myself with no problem. Nitty Gritty - Headlice and nits information (http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/site/home.asp)

smurfette
18-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks all.. I have metal combs but I think. I do have a nitty gritty one somewhere so
Will root that out! Will try the every three days with conditioner, think we are a bit better than we were itching has more or less stopped and myself and middle dd were inconclusive lol on Tuesday.. Saw a live one on the kitchen roll which sickened me, from my youngest dds head who didn't have them at all 3 weeks ago.. Sigh! It's just sooo time consuming it gets depressing and their lovely new haircuts from when they donated their hair needs another cut; their fringes are in their faces but I daren't go near the hair dresser!!

smurfette
18-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I have always used the conditioner and nit comb method - much better than chemicals:). I use tea-tree conditioner on dry hair as that is supposed to be a deterrent. As the others say every 3 days until clear and then once a week. We used to watch a DVD while doing it. I also used to check their hair quickly by looking every couple of days. Always use a metal comb the plastic ones teeth can move and let things through. The best comb I have found is the Nitty Gritty comb. It has extra long teeth perfect for long hair and has always removed the eggs from my both my DDs hair and I have been able to use it on myself with no problem. Nitty Gritty - Headlice and nits information (http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/site/home.asp)

So uou don't wet the hair at all?

tulip0803
18-09-2014, 01:18 PM
So uou don't wet the hair at all?

No a health visitor advised was better on dry hair - also meant they could be distracted while I did it with towels on my laps in the front room :). Then wash their hair after. Other people do it on wet hair not sure if it makes a difference

smurfette
18-09-2014, 01:44 PM
No a health visitor advised was better on dry hair - also meant they could be distracted while I did it with towels on my laps in the front room :). Then wash their hair after. Other people do it on wet hair not sure if it makes a difference

Certainly less hassle lol! Thanks for the tip !

VeggieSausage
18-09-2014, 04:28 PM
My daughter had long thick hair and it was a constant battle with nits, my other daughter and me never got them. I used full marks regularly and conditioner every other day until I had got rid of them and then kept up the conditioner as she just got them over and over it was awful. Also I made sure her hair was plaited at school to avoid any contact with other childrens hair.....

mum67
18-09-2014, 04:42 PM
:laughing:Not stopped scratching at my head while reading this post :laughing:

Hedrin is a good one with the long metal tooth comb, used it once on my dd and never saw them again. It was about £10 then so expensive but was recommended by a friend whose daughter's(4 of them) were constantly in a vicious circle from middle daughter kept getting visitors from friend at school who was riddled with them.