PDA

View Full Version : Giving days up

redtiger21
16-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Hi all, has anyone here ever made the decision to give up a day or 2, taking themselves to part time? Through their own choice, not because children left? If so, was it received very badly, and did it cause you to lose business on days you remain open? Am considering dropping 1 or 2 days a week, just so I can have more time for me and my family. Thanks x

smurfette
16-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Hi., I now only work four days a week, I think a good few minders on here do now.. I was able to gradually cut down as mindees left but it took a good 8 months and I am now sorry I didn't give it up sooner as I love my Fridays off! It makes a huge difference.. My Thursday is now my Friday.. (Tempting to crack the wine out then!) and I can take my girls to school, (dh usually does it as I can't manage it with drop off times), meet the mums from school for coffee then I can have a swim, catch up on jobs like doctor , dentist getting bits for the house or the girls. Then I can let the girls have a play date after school or have some time with them. I really feel it has helped me get my work / life balance back.

Since I didn't give notice to anyone to do it, I can't advise though my Current parents sometimes took a few extra hours on a Friday since I usually wasn't full. They have been very respectful of the fact I don't do it, and don't ask anymore. I was working 50 hours a week, now do about 39

I did however recently lose a little fella who was only with me 6 months as his mum changed jobs and she needed a Friday.. We were both gutted as little man had been hard to settle and was just settled nicely , but it was right decision for me. I haven't had any more trouble filling spaces than usual lol ! (Busy enough around here and never get a full time enquiry most are 2/3 days a week and grandparents help out so some people have been able to suit what I have available ) sometimes I explain I don't work Fridays and sometimes I just say I don't have it available

If you can afford to do it, do .. Even if it's not something you can do immediately work towards it by looking at current mindees and hours needed / flexibility / when they are due to leave

I suppose it might be a problem for term time only parents or after schoolies but I don't do either at the moment.

mama2three
16-09-2014, 07:29 AM
I suppose it depends on your current mix of children - a couple of mine are fulltime ( ie 5 days) - so I couldn't possibly drop days. However if you have part-timers the parents may well be able to be more flexible , swap days etc - maybe grandparents already share the care with you nd could swap days for example...

Simona
16-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi all, has anyone here ever made the decision to give up a day or 2, taking themselves to part time? Through their own choice, not because children left? If so, was it received very badly, and did it cause you to lose business on days you remain open? Am considering dropping 1 or 2 days a week, just so I can have more time for me and my family. Thanks x

I have done that several times and it is really a unique choice for cms who decide that 5 days does not suit them for whatever reasons

Informing the parents from the start is good...tell them what you are thinking of doing...the time scale which could be very short if all you want to do is give notice...medium term or long term

Ask for their feedback and thoughts...those who need 5 days will have special consideration but you may be surprised how others may adapt or come up with solutions that help you

It can be done and often to everyone's benefit
Hope it goes well for you

Pixie dust
16-09-2014, 08:25 AM
I used to have Mondays off but gave them up to help out one of my families who desperately needed Mondays, I am now full all week and do miss having a day free to catch up with all the things that I never have time to do at the week-end. (I have a lo on holiday this week and the other family are running late this morning so I am enjoying a quick hot cuppa:) just back from school run )

ziggy
16-09-2014, 09:09 AM
i only have one baby on a wednesday and this is day i usual have hospital appts (if i need them), so in the short term mummy is making alternative arrangements, I'm hoping to keep it this way but obviously if it meant losing child (4 full days) I would give up having this day off

redtiger21
16-09-2014, 05:42 PM
I'll be making life awkward for families no matter what day I do it, as I have one full timer, and pretty much every child does at least 2 days. I'm hearing more and more that I can't do it, I can't let these people down, but I was hoping that taking on this job would give me more time with my family and make me happier, but I don't think I've ever been more worn out or had less time and energy for my kids and husband. Is it really an absolute faux pas to close business one day a week?

sing-low
16-09-2014, 05:54 PM
You have to do what's best for you and your family. Would you consider telling parents now that from January you will only be working four days a week? That way they have lots of time to find alternative care if they need to do so. Some may leave earlier than January and then you can offer new starters the four days you have decided on. Good luck!

redtiger21
16-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Yes, I was thinking January, or even Easter. I need to have a proper think, but the idea that I have no option but to work full time from now on is a bit too much really, I'll end up quitting altogether I think :-/ Thanks x

hectors house
17-09-2014, 06:58 AM
I have a Thursday off, just the way it worked out when children left for school or Nursery, I was just left with 2 little ones whose grandparents collected after lunch - so I used to get afternoon off. I asked one grandparent if she would be willing to have child all day and asked the other parent if she would be willing to swap days at work - it would have cost her more in childcare but I did a "deal" on the price - if was worth it to get a whole day off. Even if I do spend most of it doing paperwork, I would be even further behind if I didn't!

Simona
17-09-2014, 08:15 AM
I'll be making life awkward for families no matter what day I do it, as I have one full timer, and pretty much every child does at least 2 days. I'm hearing more and more that I can't do it, I can't let these people down, but I was hoping that taking on this job would give me more time with my family and make me happier, but I don't think I've ever been more worn out or had less time and energy for my kids and husband. Is it really an absolute faux pas to close business one day a week?

It sounds like this is a long term plan...you cannot cut your days now because you have full timers?
Those kids will eventually go to school...so you could start telling parents that you are planning a change in working hours and days then

Any new children you could take on the days you intend to work in future until those in your care leave
Hope it works for you.

hectors house
17-09-2014, 08:20 AM
It sounds like this is a long term plan...you cannot cut your days now because you have full timers?
Those kids will eventually go to school...so you could start telling parents that you are planning a change in working hours and days then

Any new children you could take on the days you intend to work in future until those in your care leave
Hope it works for you.

You could suggest to full timers that they look around for a Nursery space for one day a week - tell them which day off you will be taking - maybe choose a day when you have older children so they parents may be thinking about incorporating Nursery into their child's care anyway.

Simona
17-09-2014, 08:25 AM
You could suggest to full timers that they look around for a Nursery space for one day a week - tell them which day off you will be taking - maybe choose a day when you have older children so they parents may be thinking about incorporating Nursery into their child's care anyway.

Yes ...that too
It will depend on how urgent the need to cut down on working days is...in my case when I did it.... it took a term and everyone was very happy!