PDA

View Full Version : Do i charge?

KatieFS
15-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi guys. Wondered if anyone has advice pls. I keep changing my mind!
A friend at school has asked me to look after her 2 boys age 6 and 11 after school 2 times for one week only. Usually her mum and dad have them but they are away and she has been asked to attend work functions.
Our children are the same age and get on fairly well. The older 2 at big school so would have to walk home to me (my son and her older boy). I would collect the younger one. The younger one plays a bit with my little girl but not loads and wouldn't usually ask them to come back and play. The older two good friends previously but growing apart a little.
I'm in a quandary whether to charge or not. It probably won't lead to any extra business as only a one off. On one of the days she is asking for, this will take me to big numbers on the day up to my max of children.
What would you do?
Think mum is expecting me to charge but feel a bit weird charging full whack as the children are friends ish

clareelizabeth1
15-09-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't think I would if I won't lead to extra business. For things like that I sometimes think it ain't worth the effort and expense of paper work. I might make a point of saying no next time she asked though if it was soon after.

Fitrix
15-09-2014, 12:55 PM
I get this quite a bit. I don't charge but make it clear that should the mum feel the urge to pass a bottle of something nice my way it wouldn't be refused!!

shortstuff
15-09-2014, 01:23 PM
I would let mum know that as it is a 1 off you will not charge but should your help be needed again you would. I also like fitrix's idea of a bottle :-)

Mouse
15-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I have a rule - if friends ask me to look after their children I charge, if I offer, I don't charge.

I have friends who are self employed. One does ironing, one makes cakes. I wouldn't dream of asking them to do my ironing, or make me a cake then not expect to pay. Even if they said I didn't have to pay, I still would. If they offer to do it & say they don't want paying, I get them a bottle of wine or some chocs instead.

mama2three
15-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I agree with Mouse. I would charge , glad you spoke up mouse I was starting to feel a bit mean!

Koala
15-09-2014, 01:45 PM
I too would charge - not because I would particularly want the money but because I wouldn't want to set a presidence and others start to ask for 'favours' as refusal can and probably will often offend.

A good analogy mouse.

QualityCare
15-09-2014, 01:50 PM
I have done this and charged a nominal fee, l wasn't going to charge but when the parent collected the child she asked what she owed me so it made it easier.

KatieFS
15-09-2014, 07:02 PM
The analogy puts it into perspective. I think because the children are friends it's not straight forward. Ha ha still not sure!

loocyloo
15-09-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm like mouse ... If I'm asked to look after anyone during my working hours I charge, if I offer then I don't.