PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

JKL
15-09-2014, 08:51 AM
I have a LO 3 who is flat out refusing to use/eat off/drink from/play with anything he deems to be "for babies" but especially "for girls"!

Quite literally anything pink, purple, yellow he will not touch!

I am purposely not wearing pinks/purples and I am wearing blues/green to emphasise that all colours are just colours and not gender specific.

I could just use some advise and ideas in how to combat this. He's driving me potty with it but I'm lost for ideas on how to change his mindset.

TIA xxx

QualityCare
15-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Difficult as this attitude is probably coming from home but the parents must have read your policies and wouldn't this be going against your inclusion policy mine says no activities and equipment are stereotyped by age colour sex, could you speak to the parents. At meal times you can either give him a choice of plate or put the food on one and tell him he will have to go without if he won't eat it, if there is a good mixture of toys and equipment out for all ages then l would ignore the fact that he doesn't play with certain things and if he comments about something or someone else playing with things that "are for girls or babyish" then just say no everything is for everyone to use and its ok if he doesn't want to ply but its not very nice to say things to other children. He will eventually join in it can be quite common for boys to be like this if they havn't had the experiences at home.

JKL
15-09-2014, 12:11 PM
I did wonder if this is coming from home as I've experienced it in families where LO has picked up from an older brother or sister that "that's for girls" but having briefly mentioned it to mum she just laughs it off. I think maybe I need to be a little firmer and point out, like you say, that we do not have gender specific toys etc.

It's just driving me bonkers, especially as last week we attended a regular playgroup and he had a full blown tantrum because his snack was on a purple plate. I know he won't go hungry as he's a greedy child anyway (sounds horrid but he will steal food of my DS plate at meal times whilst he still has food on his plate and my DS is only 1 so doesn't know what's going on)

I'm just trying to think of inventive ways to dissuade the "boys/girls attitude". He's currently mad on Spider-Man and I am tempted to find some pink/purple versions to show him.

xx

*daisychain*
15-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Perhaps you could make him a table mat with Spider-Man on but with a purple/ pink background? Easy enough to print it out and laminate it x

tulip0803
15-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I agree with Qualitycare's advice and your gender neutral clothing:rolleyes:. I looked after a LO who had been cared for by grandma and Mum removed from her as she was unhappy with what grandma was saying to him. Boys don't cry, that's for girls/babies etc. He would stand with a look of disgust on his face when another little boy would put on the sparkliest, pinkest dressing up clothes and we had lots of negative comments form him - it took time as it was against what his grandma had told him for 3 years eventually we got to a stage where he would "tolerate" other boys playing with "girls toys/dressing up" without comment but he still would not play with the things he deemed girly or babyish, he just ignored them. He got on really well with DS who was a lot older and DD1 who was the same age so he didn't object to playing with girls.

I don't think I have anything pink or yellow to wear myself:rolleyes:. I do like purple though:D. In my house I have character plates but none are particularly girly as DD2 was into noddy and tractors. People get the cup at the bottom of the stack whatever colour. Incidently I have china bowls and the boys here argue over the pink one:laughing::laughing: