PDA

View Full Version : Yes or no to learning journals

toddlers896
13-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Ime fed up taking photos of kids every day and spending hours updating learning journals, however saying that I am very proud of my journals but I was thinking that if I stopped doing them how else can I demonstrate that I am delivering the EYFS for each child:idea:

Rubybubbles
13-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Your right by saying what would I use instead!

I use online with Tapestry for my Learning Journals, it emails parents as soon as I have submitted it! Photos can be added too.

There are loads of other online versions, and TBH I don't know how I would prove without my LJ, which I also do a handwritten one too alongside online (but never repeating!)

Simona
13-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Ime fed up taking photos of kids every day and spending hours updating learning journals, however saying that I am very proud of my journals but I was thinking that if I stopped doing them how else can I demonstrate that I am delivering the EYFS for each child:idea:

You really do not need to update L/Journals all the time ...just when it is time to review your next steps...you can decide with the parents how often you need to do a summative assessment
All inspectors look for is short good quality summaries according to their latest Inspections update

Photos can be in place of observations and also to show the CoEL
You don't have to call it a LJ,,,choose whatever suits you...keep it short and well focussed

I am not sure how often other cms do their LJs...personally I do them 3 times a year and it is ok for parents and myself
Good luck and cut the paperwork if you can :thumbsup:

toddlers896
13-09-2014, 05:12 PM
You really do not need to update L/Journals all the time ...just when it is time to review your next steps...you can decide with the parents how often you need to do a summative assessment
All inspectors look for is short good quality summaries according to their latest Inspections update

Photos can be in place of observations and also to show the CoEL
You don't have to call it a LJ,,,choose whatever suits you...keep it short and well focussed

I am not sure how often other cms do their LJs...personally I do them 3 times a year and it is ok for parents and myself
Good luck and cut the paperwork if you can :thumbsup:

3 times a year? wow what do you do? I do mine once a week adding new photos.
My hubby is starting to sound like a broken record. he said to me again last night why are you doing this. He doesn't believe me when I tell him I have too. He says are you telling me that every child minder does this but it sound like you don't Simona. Ime intrigued to know how you record things x

JoRo163
13-09-2014, 05:52 PM
At my last inspection, in May this year, the inspector wasn't interested in my learning journals. She said they are no longer a requirement and just wanted to know where my mindees were developmentally in relation to EYO's. She suggested just keeping their own copy of EYO to hand, and highlight the statements as I observe them, then just input their next steps into future planning.

That said, I haven't been able to give up on my LJ's, I still do them!!

Simona
13-09-2014, 08:04 PM
3 times a year? wow what do you do? I do mine once a week adding new photos.
My hubby is starting to sound like a broken record. he said to me again last night why are you doing this. He doesn't believe me when I tell him I have too. He says are you telling me that every child minder does this but it sound like you don't Simona. Ime intrigued to know how you record things x

You do not need to update your LJ every day ...I promise you...it has never been a requirement
teachers do not do that and we are not different on that score

What you want to capture is children's progress over a short period of time...every term or over several weeks
Record vital observations...in writing or in your head... that connect to your next steps...observe at least 3 times before you put that down as progress and add photos to reinforce that
Children can show progress one day and then reverse that.

Every cm does records in a unique way...read what others and LAs suggest as a guide not gospel....and then adapt to your children and practice

My records are on a word document that I devised myself...it is 'live and interactive' ...I can tweak it as I want until ready to be printed and shared with parents and Ofsted
As Joro said below it is the Outcomes that matter not extensive paperwork

good luck and hope you are able to cut your paperwork :)

hectors house
14-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Your right by saying what would I use instead!

I use online with Tapestry for my Learning Journals, it emails parents as soon as I have submitted it! Photos can be added too.

There are loads of other online versions, and TBH I don't know how I would prove without my LJ, which I also do a handwritten one too alongside online (but never repeating!)

Yes I'm a Tapestry user (Weaver) now too and sometimes I add photos / videos and do a full observation sometimes it's just a photo with a brief sentence about where we were and sometimes it's just a couple of photos that speak for themselves. I used to be about a month behind with my paper journals but now I am only ever a couple of days behind and sometimes completely up to date. The subscription costs are far less than my costs of printing out pages of photos for LJ and the photos are much bigger and clearer.

sarah707
14-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I update children's files every week ... write up observations (1 for each child) and do some planning for their next steps, link it all with EYO and add some parent comments ... I don't spend hours on them and I print about 3 photos a month per child the rest are sent by whatsapp.

I think people generally do too much but it's hard to know how much is 'enough' when we hear colleagues who have been marked down at inspection for not doing enough when they say they do more than me :panic:

It's never been a requirement to do a 'learning journey' ... but where else would you put all the evidence and what else would you call it? xx

Simona
14-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I update children's files every week ... write up observations (1 for each child) and do some planning for their next steps, link it all with EYO and add some parent comments ... I don't spend hours on them and I print about 3 photos a month per child the rest are sent by whatsapp.

I think people generally do too much but it's hard to know how much is 'enough' when we hear colleagues who have been marked down at inspection for not doing enough when they say they do more than me :panic:

It's never been a requirement to do a 'learning journey' ... but where else would you put all the evidence and what else would you call it? xx

Uh!!! good question Sarah!

I personally think it is up to individual cms how they see what they are producing and what they choose to call it

All children embark on a learning journey from the moment they are born and that journey never ends
What we do is observe, assess and record that learning in what...the vast majority of 90,000+ providers... call a L/Journey but ...as is it a document.... it is a Learning Journal where we record their achievements

Reggio practice calls it 'documentation' ...it could be called 'records of achievements'...or 'portfolio'...or a 'learning CV'?
I hope independent cms can be innovative and get away from what is perceived as 'we have always called it so...why change it?'...no more prescriptive practice as per defunct network requirements and what will possibly be ...an agency requirement for those who join.

I have never called it a learning journey and feel happy with it...I update them regularly but not daily but that does not mean I am losing track of the aspirations I have for children

If Ofsted inspectors are marking cms down...I have not read anything in this forum on this... are they doing so because of the actual name of the folder or the contents of the document as not showing enough of the Development Matters 'Early Learning Goals' or EY Outcomes children are achieving?

that would be a question of producing short 'good quality summaries' as inspectors now look for as per latest factsheet on 'Conducting EY inspections' which also states inspectors do not need to see detailed written plans

In addition DM and EYO are one and the same.... the latter being a 'target ticking' box which does not help and omits vital ingredients such as environments and relationships...so for me is a No No!

That is totally my view and I know cms do things differently either by using online documents or those they have devised themselves
Why not have a separate section in this forum just for L/Journals, documentation or such like we can refer to and and keep the discussions in one place?

FussyElmo
15-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Uh!!! good question Sarah!

I personally think it is up to individual cms how they see what they are producing and what they choose to call it

All children embark on a learning journey from the moment they are born and that journey never ends
What we do is observe, assess and record that learning in what...the vast majority of 90,000+ providers... call a L/Journey but ...as is it a document.... it is a Learning Journal where we record their achievements

Reggio practice calls it 'documentation' ...it could be called 'records of achievements'...or 'portfolio'...or a 'learning CV'?
I hope independent cms can be innovative and get away from what is perceived as 'we have always called it so...why change it?'...no more prescriptive practice as per defunct network requirements and what will possibly be ...an agency requirement for those who join.

I have never called it a learning journey and feel happy with it...I update them regularly but not daily but that does not mean I am losing track of the aspirations I have for children

If Ofsted inspectors are marking cms down...I have not read anything in this forum on this... are they doing so because of the actual name of the folder or the contents of the document as not showing enough of the Development Matters 'Early Learning Goals' or EY Outcomes children are achieving?

that would be a question of producing short 'good quality summaries' as inspectors now look for as per latest factsheet on 'Conducting EY inspections' which also states inspectors do not need to see detailed written plans

In addition DM and EYO are one and the same.... the latter being a 'target ticking' box which does not help and omits vital ingredients such as environments and relationships...so for me is a No No!

That is totally my view and I know cms do things differently either by using online documents or those they have devised themselves
Why not have a separate section in this forum just for L/Journals, documentation or such like we can refer to and and keep the discussions in one place?

there is already a section in the forum for learning journals, scrapbooks and diaries :-)

Simona
15-09-2014, 07:42 AM
[/COLOR]

there is already a section in the forum for learning journals, scrapbooks and diaries :-)

Scrapbooks and diaries are not what I meant....I meant a thread where we can discuss and share ideas on the process of documenting children's progress... :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
15-09-2014, 12:58 PM
We'd all go potty if it was every day! I take photos of anything new/interesting/new milestone reached and keep them on the computer with rough notes, then every term (12 weeks) I print out the photos and write up the obs or if feeling lazy cut out the typed obs and glue into LJ, but I like to have things handwritten. So the LJ's are given out just before Xmas, Easter and end of year. Works well for me and the parents and in between times we keep in touch with daily diaries and newsletters.

Simona
15-09-2014, 01:15 PM
We'd all go potty if it was every day! I take photos of anything new/interesting/new milestone reached and keep them on the computer with rough notes, then every term (12 weeks) I print out the photos and write up the obs or if feeling lazy cut out the typed obs and glue into LJ, but I like to have things handwritten. So the LJ's are given out just before Xmas, Easter and end of year. Works well for me and the parents and in between times we keep in touch with daily diaries and newsletters.

That is just like I do it and also the handwritten obs in all the areas....in case something special comes up

what I find good with that system is that parents can have the progress report over the holidays ...so plenty of time to put their comments in and I don't have to part with the journal at all during the week ...although it is backed up on my computer...and no panic if the inspector turns up and parents forget the LJ at home
Thanks for sharing that Ripeberry

sarah707
15-09-2014, 05:43 PM
And just to throw a googlie into the pot ...

A member of the FB group was inspected today and the inspector wanted to see daily observations and individual planning :rolleyes:

I won't be changing what I do and I would challenge something like that very robustly because I believe it's completely unnecessary ...

Simona
15-09-2014, 06:04 PM
And just to throw a googlie into the pot ...

A member of the FB group was inspected today and the inspector wanted to see daily observations and individual planning :rolleyes:

I won't be changing what I do and I would challenge something like that very robustly because I believe it's completely unnecessary ...

I apologise if I have given the impression I don't do individual planning...I do and do it with the parents.... but it is all included in my progress report...so all in one document

Observations I am sure cms do on a daily basis...some are kept in their head and some on paper...I do several each day
I often read cms do one observation a month...that is their way and they know what they are doing
We are all different and there is no prescriptive way of doing things

I don't think anyone has told cms not do obs or planning?...the OP was about updating LJs every day...that to me is not necessary and that is of course my view

zanacal
15-09-2014, 09:03 PM
This thread has got me thinking - I've only been registered since May and my LJs are pretty thorough but I never feel completely on top of them and I print a lot, time for a little re-think.

I'm interested in your Word document Simona, do you add in observations, photos etc. and then end with a summative assessment and print it all or are the former incorporated in the latter?

Simona
15-09-2014, 09:34 PM
This thread has got me thinking - I've only been registered since May and my LJs are pretty thorough but I never feel completely on top of them and I print a lot, time for a little re-think.

I'm interested in your Word document Simona, do you add in observations, photos etc. and then end with a summative assessment and print it all or are the former incorporated in the latter?

Yes I do...it is really a story telling of a child learning journey documenting each step
I start with 'what Jonny can do' ...so those are the starting points...I observe those for 2/3 weeks

Then I plan next steps over a period of time ...and write what it is about: independence, managing feelings, making relationships, self care and so on for each area...so PSED, CL and PD

underneath I put my planning for the child and what I would use as resources...so that covers the child's interests
under that are my observations (formative assessment and tracking progress)...not millions of them ...I pick those from a separate sheet....so I record the ones that relate to the next steps and show progress

Finally I do the summative assessment in the 3 Prime areas...link to EYO but I use DM for planning...I also record if the progress is emerging, expected or exceeding....give it to parents and get feedback...voila it's done!!
Then it starts again with next steps for the next period

My photos capture the CoEL for each area...I write exactly what they are next to the photos and I add little notes...I also use the EYFS terminology

It has taken a while to develop but I like it and all I have is one document...print it and put in the portfolio

It may sound complicated...hard to explain in words without seeing it...but it works for me and it has cut my paperwork in half and time spent on updating...the most time consuming task is the photos as they go in each area and I use lots of them

Hope I have not confused the matter :)

zanacal
15-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Not at all, thank you for sharing. I do like creating and adapting my own paperwork to suit rather than using an off the shelf solution. Something for me to ponder :)

zanacal
15-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Just thinking further - you mention that you make many observations but only record those relating to the Next Steps you identified at the beginning of the timeframe. What do you 'do' with the remaining Observations, do they inform the Next Steps for the next period? I'm thinking you spend a period of time establishing Next Steps and then follows a period of consolidation. Have I understood correctly? At the moment I write an observation when something is remarkable and add a Next Step if it seems relevant but it means that Next Steps are emerging constantly. Do you find that your Next Steps are quite broad in scope? What do you do if you decide Next Steps at the beginning of your period and the child is suddenly 'in to' something new? I also have in my head that Next Steps always come from Observations - I guess they don't have to?! Regarding the COEL, is the aim to encourage children to use all of these or simply to note their preferences? Sorry, that turned out to be lots of questions!

Simona
17-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Just thinking further - you mention that you make many observations but only record those relating to the Next Steps you identified at the beginning of the timeframe. What do you 'do' with the remaining Observations, do they inform the Next Steps for the next period? I'm thinking you spend a period of time establishing Next Steps and then follows a period of consolidation. Have I understood correctly? At the moment I write an observation when something is remarkable and add a Next Step if it seems relevant but it means that Next Steps are emerging constantly. Do you find that your Next Steps are quite broad in scope? What do you do if you decide Next Steps at the beginning of your period and the child is suddenly 'in to' something new? I also have in my head that Next Steps always come from Observations - I guess they don't have to?! Regarding the COEL, is the aim to encourage children to use all of these or simply to note their preferences? Sorry, that turned out to be lots of questions!

On the actual documentation I record the ones that show the progress towards the Next Steps.....on my observation sheet as well as in my head and in the photos, I have many that consolidate the progress and then produce one final observation

if my next steps are broad I tweak them but usually they overarch with the other 2 areas of learning ....I am concentrating here on PSED, CL and PD....and find all gaps generally close very well

CoEL... personally I believe all children have all those from birth but I also think the environment, variety, support they get and SST do make a huge difference to their engagement., motivation and thinking.

zanacal
18-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks Simona. I wish you were local to me so I could see what you're doing in person! I'm interested to hear your take on Next Steps. For example, several of my 2ish year olds have suddenly taken an interest in cutting with scissors so I've taken a photo, annotated it and for a Next Step have said that I'll do more scissor/cutting activities. I'm getting that you might do something different, possibly more specific if this were one of your mindees? Is your Observation Sheet something that you don't share with parents, but that you use to inform your planning and to choose relevant observations from for your report - and the one for your report shows that the child has moved on from the starting point rather than that they've been doing, for example, lots of cutting activities?

Simona
18-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Simona. I wish you were local to me so I could see what you're doing in person! I'm interested to hear your take on Next Steps. For example, several of my 2ish year olds have suddenly taken an interest in cutting with scissors so I've taken a photo, annotated it and for a Next Step have said that I'll do more scissor/cutting activities. I'm getting that you might do something different, possibly more specific if this were one of your mindees? Is your Observation Sheet something that you don't share with parents, but that you use to inform your planning and to choose relevant observations from for your report - and the one for your report shows that the child has moved on from the starting point rather than that they've been doing, for example, lots of cutting activities?

How strange you should say that!
I was speaking to a colleague today and I said I would love the opportunity to have a CPD session with other cms all armed with their journals so we could share and compare and learn and tweak!

Cutting is one of the activities easily tracked via photos and CoEL and can be linked to PSED and PD?
I do share the obs sheets with parents and would with an inspector as well so she would understand how the learning is taking place and tracked and assessment made at the end.

Apart from allowing the children to choose cutting and following this 'new interest' I would also introduce 'adult led' experiences to strengthen the aims of all the 3 areas I have planned for that relate to cutting

Hope it makes sense?

mama2three
19-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Im lucky to be a part of a great pacey local group - we get together monthly ish and have chosen to look at things like this together. We recently all took in our LJs , it was excellent to see how others have set them out , and we all take away valuable ideas. next week we are covering policies and we will all take in our files. Other times we have shared xmas craft ideas , local places to viit over he holidays etc. We choose what we would like to cover next time...we make time for socialising , networking and generally keeping in touch with each other.
My ljs aren't as pretty as they used to be as Ive started using orbit as my main tool - but they are up to date which would never have happened previously! Im guilty of probably doing too many obs and used to make it hard for myself to keep up - but now they take literally a few minutes a day , parents see the photos and obs instantly rather than wait months at a time. Its working well for us here , and happy to say Mrs O was happy too!:clapping:

Simona
19-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Im lucky to be a part of a great pacey local group - we get together monthly ish and have chosen to look at things like this together. We recently all took in our LJs , it was excellent to see how others have set them out , and we all take away valuable ideas. next week we are covering policies and we will all take in our files. Other times we have shared xmas craft ideas , local places to viit over he holidays etc. We choose what we would like to cover next time...we make time for socialising , networking and generally keeping in touch with each other.
My ljs aren't as pretty as they used to be as Ive started using orbit as my main tool - but they are up to date which would never have happened previously! Im guilty of probably doing too many obs and used to make it hard for myself to keep up - but now they take literally a few minutes a day , parents see the photos and obs instantly rather than wait months at a time. Its working well for us here , and happy to say Mrs O was happy too!:clapping:

Sounds like you have a good system in place

Updating LJs over a certain period of time...say every term or such like...does not mean that parents cannot see daily obs or photos or that daily communication does not take place at pick up time or via any other means?

mama2three
19-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Sounds like you have a good system in place

Updating LJs over a certain period of time...say every term or such like...does not mean that parents cannot see daily obs or photos or that daily communication does not take place at pick up time or via any other means?

It did for me simona , and Im sure many others. Not the communication , that obviously was there , but not obs , pics etc
The pics stayed safely in my phone or laptop until I printed them off and hand wrote the observation , links , next steps etc...and this was always always behind simply due to the fact that 1- I had quite a few children to do them for , 2 - I was probably doing too many , 3 Im a bit of a perfectionist , 4 lack of hours in the day........
Parents saw them only when I sent home the ljs....which was less often than I would have liked as they were rarely up to date!!
Yes Id show them a great pic at collection time , or occasionally send an email with a special pic on - but in general they didn't have access to the pics , obs , or ljs often enough ...
Ive had to accept that prettiness and layout of my LJs is really secondary to content and timeliness!

Simona
19-09-2014, 12:59 PM
It did for me simona , and Im sure many others. Not the communication , that obviously was there , but not obs , pics etc
The pics stayed safely in my phone or laptop until I printed them off and hand wrote the observation , links , next steps etc...and this was always always behind simply due to the fact that 1- I had quite a few children to do them for , 2 - I was probably doing too many , 3 Im a bit of a perfectionist , 4 lack of hours in the day........
Parents saw them only when I sent home the ljs....which was less often than I would have liked as they were rarely up to date!!
Yes Id show them a great pic at collection time , or occasionally send an email with a special pic on - but in general they didn't have access to the pics , obs , or ljs often enough ...
Ive had to accept that prettiness and layout of my LJs is really secondary to content and timeliness!

I totally see that your system is unique to you and works for you...you have given me an idea which I will try to adapt
Thank you :thumbsup: