PDA

View Full Version : Bumps and grazes

littleDs31
11-09-2014, 01:14 PM
An 18mth has ran lost their balance and fell, banging their chin on the corner of the door on the way down. She has a red line of the door down her chin which I think will eventually bruise. I have informed mum via text and sent her a photo, I have filled in accident sheet ready for mum to sign on collection. Is there anything else I need to do? Just want to make sure I have covered all bases as dad doesn't take well to his little one coming home with bruises on knees never mind marks on faces:( Little one is fine but she is running round on her tiptoes which is what is causing her to be unsteady. Does anyone have any tips about this tiptoe stage to ?? Thanks in advance :)

QualityCare
11-09-2014, 02:55 PM
No you have done all you can do, does your accident book have a duplicate page for parents to take a copy. Nothing you can do about the walking on toes stage a lot of little ones do it for a while.

hectors house
11-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Oh dear I had a child do this it made a horrible mark all down his face but luckily didn't bruise but as you are finding it's always the children with the fussing parents who are the most clumsy! Tell the parents that you have added corner protectors to furniture, got safety glass everywhere on glass that is low (obviously only tell them that if you have) but that you refuse to cover everything else with foam like a soft play centre and you can't control what the child does with their feet!

littleDs31
11-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. Mum is fine with it but it appears dad is angry about it so I have told mum that I am willing to discuss the situation with dad and for him to contact me if he wishes. I have risk assessed it and other than like you say turn my house into a soft play area or place the children in play pens there is nothing anyone could have done, including dad, to have prevented it. I feel fed up that someone thinks bad of me when it was an unpreventable accident. Sometimes this job just isn't worth it :((

hectors house
11-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your replies. Mum is fine with it but it appears dad is angry about it so I have told mum that I am willing to discuss the situation with dad and for him to contact me if he wishes. I have risk assessed it and other than like you say turn my house into a soft play area or place the children in play pens there is nothing anyone could have done, including dad, to have prevented it. I feel fed up that someone thinks bad of me when it was an unpreventable accident. Sometimes this job just isn't worth it :((

I ended up losing my temper with my "over the top" parent - told her if you think I have been negligent please put your complaint in writing and I will reply as per my complaints procedure or you can contact Ofsted, their number is on the poster in porch or you can just accept that accidents happen and child is more likely to have them with me as I have him 5 days a week with 2 other children to keep an eye on and you and his dad only have him 2 days with 2 adults to keep him wrapped in cotton wool!

miffy
11-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Dad's reaction seems a bit OTT to me - bumps and grazes are common at this age or perhaps lo has never had an accident whilst in dad's care?

I think I would ask for a meeting with both parents to discuss - perhaps between you and mum you can find out what his problem really is?

Miffy xx

Jiorjiina
11-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Oh dear I had a child do this it made a horrible mark all down his face but luckily didn't bruise but as you are finding it's always the children with the fussing parents who are the most clumsy!

Usually because the fussing parents won't let the child do anything for themselves, so that child hasn't practised the same skills that other kids who are given a little more independence are likely to have developed. Parents who get angry about their child being injured are usually the ones who look after them the least, and don't really understand that falling over and bumping/bruising themselves is exactly how kids learn not to fall over and bump/bruise themselves!