PDA

View Full Version : quick question on group planning

Kidston
11-09-2014, 11:18 AM
just a quickie do i need to do group planning if im only looking after 1 child? ive done individual planning and a monthly plan for the notice board to involve the parents.
just not sure if i need to do group planning. if its just my little one and one other child?

moggy
11-09-2014, 12:20 PM
What are you referring to by 'group planning'?
Nurseries would use group planning, large settings would use it.
Even with 3 or 4 children I do not do 'group planning'... but it depends what you mean by 'group planning'... if I plan for us all to go to Toddler Group or all go to the playground you could say that is group planning. Or if I get out playdough for everyone to use- is that group planning?

I would not worry to much about what title you give to your planning, as long as you are looking at each child's development and how you can provide experiences to help them move on then you are doing fine.

JCrakers
11-09-2014, 12:28 PM
My DO talked about 'Group planning' and truthfully it's just not for me. With 3 little ones of various ages its just not any use as usually they do their own thing.
Also, I have never written any planning down due to a.) not being able to find the time and b.) finding it a waste of time.

I'm more of a spontaneous worker which I think most childminders are. Yesterday we saw some diggers in the playground, we stopped to watch them and then came back and did some digger painting and glueing. I couldn't have planned that.

Simona
11-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Group planning is possibly an 'adult led' activity?

Playdough can be planned for all your children because you know they are all interested then...you lead and adapt to each child's needs and stages of learning

A baby will want to squash it and eat it for a sensory experience...a 2 year old will be learning to use tools while a 3 year old maybe more advanced and will use scissors to cut playdough

Is that what you mean?

alex__17
11-09-2014, 06:31 PM
My group planning is things like making fathers/mothers day cards, easter egg hunt etc things that happen ovrr the year and I do with all the children as I have them on different days.
I then do individual planning for them but even that is often planned a few days in advance as it depends on their interest eg this week a nearly 2 year old spent hours playing with cars on the toy garage so my plan for him next week is to get a couple of pieces of wood or guttering, prop it up on something and let him whiz cars down that in the garden, and I expect everyone else will join in too even though it wasn't their plan or a group plan!

Kidston
12-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Sorry for not explaining better.
I plan on doing individual planning and group planning was my planned activities based around my long term planning.
Example for October we'll look at autumn.
Just no sure theres much point as only having one mindee

Simona
12-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Sorry for not explaining better.
I plan on doing individual planning and group planning was my planned activities based around my long term planning.
Example for October we'll look at autumn.
Just no sure theres much point as only having one mindee

Your autumn theme is your 'adult led' activity which you can adapt for each child in your care or just the one you have according to his/her interests

I think Jcrackers gave a lovely example of child initiated activity below that led to the whole group doing it when back home...it was spontaneous but very pertinent

VeggieSausage
12-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I do group planning in that I write down a weekly timetable of what we are generally doing, including lunch/ naps/ school run/ toddler group etc. If we do something different I cross it out and write it on showing our plans are adaptable and I write initials or name of a child whose next steps are the acitvity I have written in.....that is all the planning I do apart from noting each child's next steps in their LJ and in the daily diary.....eg I write in the diary Next week we will be doing wooden puzzles.....on my weekly plan there will be child led play written each day somewhere and it might have a slash have wooden puzzles out with child's name.....

sarah707
12-09-2014, 06:47 PM
We have quite a few older children so we do group planning most weeks - but the children do it for themselves and we facilitate for them.

We link it to the seasons, weather and anything they are interested in - and we differentiate it for the little ones if they want to join in :D