PDA

View Full Version : stuttering 2 year old

Rickers83
11-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this?
I know it can be common when children are developing their speech, but it seems to have come on over the last week & is getting worse.

I first noticed it with my name ri-r-ri-r-rickers, then other words, he'll repeat the first sound several times. I've also noticed hes started taking long pauses mid sentence like the word is stuck.

I mentioned to mum who said he's doing it at home & they just tell him they cant understand him & start again to try to discourage him from doing it.
My worry with that is its drawing attention to it even more & could cause him to worry more about speaking.

Any advice?

Simona
11-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this?
I know it can be common when children are developing their speech, but it seems to have come on over the last week & is getting worse.

I first noticed it with my name ri-r-ri-r-rickers, then other words, he'll repeat the first sound several times. I've also noticed hes started taking long pauses mid sentence like the word is stuck.

I mentioned to mum who said he's doing it at home & they just tell him they cant understand him & start again to try to discourage him from doing it.
My worry with that is its drawing attention to it even more & could cause him to worry more about speaking.

Any advice?

This will be of help

Stammering in preschool children - how parents can help | British Stammering Association (http://www.stammering.org/help-information/parents/under-5s/bsa-leaflets-parents-under-5s/stammering-preschool-children-how)

tess1981
11-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I had a boy age 5 who had a very bad stutter. Mum took him to speech therapist and no more stutter :)

chris goodyear
11-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I currently care for a 4 year old who is quite bad with his speech and does stutter a lot and also has the long pauses as you say. The parents were concerned as it was getting worse so took him somewhere (not sure where) and were asked if they had a busy lifestyle, which they do. They were asked if they could calm things down and not to rush their son when he was trying to say something but to just wait patiently and listen to him rather than jump in and say it for him. It did work and they try to keep things more calm and make time to listen to him properly. He starts school on Monday and I wonder how he'll do - will it send him backwards as everything is on a timetable or because it's reception class hopefully there will be time for him to speak without feeling rushed which is when it gets worse. Maybe it's something you could suggest to the parents?

blue bear
11-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I had a lo nearly three that started stuttering, would just say stop, go slowly, take your time in a calm voice, always gave eye contact, listened intently to what lo had to say, never hurried or pre emptied what I thought they had to say. It lasted just a few weeks.

Emra81
11-09-2014, 09:03 PM
My dd was 2 a few months ago and started stuttering out of the blue fairly soon after, sounds v similar to your mindee. We took her to a speech n language drop in and long story short, its highly likely that its just a result of a temporary mismatch between her brain and her mouth! Her cognitive ability is developing faster than her verbal ability. They said not to worry unless she's still doing it in 6 months time, in which case we're to go back to them.

We find that it comes n goes; worse when she's tired or excited and bouts of it coincide with weeks when her speech develops in big jumps e.g. when she started to put longer sentences together it got worse for a week or so then settled down.

The therapists advice was not to draw attention to it at all.....don't acknowledge that she's stuttering in any way, make any comment about it, or anticipate what she's trying you say. We're to just wait patiently for her to get out what she wants to say otherwise it puts pressure on her which makes it worse. They also said to make a conscious effort to talk more slowly around her (dh and I both talk quite fast!) and to try not to ask her too many questions as this puts pressure on her to respond asap although we find the not questioning really hard as you do naturally ask them a lot of questions!

Might be worth seeing if there's any kind of speech and language support that can be accessed locally and steering them in that direction. Really helped to reassure us and their advice is def helping my daughter.

Simona
12-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Speech and Language Therapy support is there but they are extremely busy ...short staffed really...and waiting lists are growing...however...they are also accessible and if cms ring them they will send literature on stammering or dysfluency which is fairly common

They also have lots of sound advice that we can follow until it become obvious a child needs referrals

CMs can also refer to S&L with parental permission and there is also the Health Visitor who can act as a 'go between'