PDA

View Full Version : Advice on putting baby to sleep please

ja-lula-belli
11-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Hello all can I have some advice on how you get a baby to sleep in a cot
I have a baby 10 months old new to my setting. Sleeps in a cot at home. Mum said to sleep in cot upstairs but every time I try and put lo down cries a lot.
What do you all do?
Is it a waiting game until lo is settled in general. This is his 2nd week with me 4th (2 days per week) session so still very early days!
I took lo for a drive yesterday to get lo off to sleep because was very tired but not really a solution as need to get lo in the cot.
All and any advice very much welcome thank you x

Elkie Mawdsley
11-09-2014, 09:02 AM
I haven't minded any babies yet as my own little one is just about to turn one. He always slept very well in the cot for naps and night time until 9.5 months when he started to get a bit anxious of being left alone. I tried all sorts of strategies from online, starting with sitting close by the cot until he was asleep and moving a little further away each time (impossible to do if you have other mindees tho), to playing a musical toy to aignify nap time etc. The way that worked for me in the end tho was to put him down, say sleep tight, leave the room. He did cry, and I went back in after a minute, then after 2 more minutes had passed, then 5 more etc. After 12 minutes, he was asleep. The next nap took 3 going back in attempts but after that - he goes down without a peep. very traumatic for me as his mum tho. You would probably meed to get mums permission before doing this. Have you asked her if there is a particular routine she does with him before cot time? Good luck xx

ja-lula-belli
11-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Just a kiss on the head and say night night ' name'

shortstuff
11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
have you tried asking for a blanket from home as it will smell of home?

Another thing I think that helped me here was I initially put the cot downstairs so they can still here people around. This helps them feel less deserted. Then once they are ok at dropping off I moved it to the bottom of the stairs and eventually back upstairs.

HTH

Mel_Johnson
11-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Would she let the baby sleep in a travel cot downstairs or the pushchair. I have 2 babies ( from 9 months) and both sleep in the pushchair. I either take them for a walk or just push inside if my 2 year is also sleeping. Works for us and everyone is happy cause no one is left to cry and the babies get their naps

FloraDora
11-09-2014, 11:06 AM
We have a 30 year old 'lullaby bird ' that plays a relaxing musical tune for a few minutes, until it has wound round, this has helped mine, and is a sort off routine for going to bed. They put it on now themselves and then straight into cot - sleep tight and out. If more than one in different rooms it plays on the landing.
Initially I played it a couple of times, let the the child moan and they went off eventually, now they are familiar here all is ok.
If parents hover at bedtime though it makes it difficult for you - I just established my routine of expectation to sleep or lie quiet and didn't interact much once lullaby bird was playing, but the relaxing listening seemed to help.

I am wondering what will happen if it dies though!

Vikki5531
11-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I also have a 10 month old mindee (been with me a few weeks) and he would not let me put him in the travel cot - he would cry non-stop! He would only sleep in his pushchair when I took him out. Mum was concerned that he wouldn't be comfy enough in his pushchair and said he slept in a travel cot at home. Mum also suggested that every time he cried, to go back in the room - put his dummy back in and lie him back down. I tried this on Monday - I must of gone back in the room 5/6 times, but it worked! He had a really good sleep :) Hope it works again tomorrow! Oh he also has a blanket from home that helps to settle him. Good luck xx