PDA

View Full Version : How strict is your sickness policy?

greanan
10-09-2014, 03:52 PM
How strict is everyone with their sickness policy?? Had a wee one (18 months) today who had diarrhoea (mild) just 5 mins before going home. It had went through nappy and onto vest so obviously took vest off him. Granny collected and doesn't hang about for long so was just about to text mum to say it'll be 48 hours till he returns and shouldn't be at mine tomorrow?? But then the soft side of me thinks as it was only mild and he'd been okay during the day maybe he should be okay to be at mine tomorrow? Would everyone else stick to saying he should be off tomorrow?

Tealady
10-09-2014, 04:11 PM
When I was a newbie I would have excluded immediately for 48hrs.

However if the child seemed absolutely fine up until that point and it was just one incident I would not exclude. What I would do though is I would phone, not text, parent later on to see how LO is. If it has happened again I would exclude or if the child has now become off colour then I would also exclude.

My own children can have the one off "Gooey Poo" as they call it from time to time.

greanan
10-09-2014, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE="Tealady;1377719"]When I was a newbie I would have excluded immediately for 48hrs. However if the child seemed absolutely fine up until that point and it was just one incident I would not exclude. What I would do though is I would phone, not text, parent later on to see how LO is. If it has happened again I would exclude or if the child has now become off colour then I would also exclude. My own children can have the one off "Gooey Poo" as they call it from time to time.[/QUOTE

This is what I've been doing up until now but the parents seem to have by used to it and send their children when they're clearly not well. He was okay in the afternoon but def not like him to have a runny nappy. I'm now thinking how to word the text to send mum to inform her he shouldn't be in tomorrow. Hope that's not too harsh?!

toddlers896
10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
I also used to be strict when I first started but now ime happy to take children who are not feeling too well (colds, sniffles etc) as long as they are still able to take part in their daily routine. I will give calpol if parents has requested it but if they are still no better then they definitely go home. 3 bouts of diarrhea in a very short space of time then they go home and are excluded for 48hrs, same with sickness.

Its really hard sending kids home as parents have to go to work but its a must with sickness and the poos and thankfully most of my parents are very understanding and tell me to phone if their is a problem.

gwm
10-09-2014, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE="Tealady;1377719"]When I was a newbie I would have excluded immediately for 48hrs. However if the child seemed absolutely fine up until that point and it was just one incident I would not exclude. What I would do though is I would phone, not text, parent later on to see how LO is. If it has happened again I would exclude or if the child has now become off colour then I would also exclude. My own children can have the one off "Gooey Poo" as they call it from time to time.[/QUOTE

This is what I've been doing up until now but the parents seem to have by used to it and send their children when they're clearly not well. He was okay in the afternoon but def not like him to have a runny nappy. I'm now thinking how to word the text to send mum to inform her he shouldn't be in tomorrow. Hope that's not too harsh?!

How about 'I hope little X is feeling better. Just to remind you that in line with my Sickness Policy, X will be unable to return to my setting until 48 hours after his final episode of diarrhoea. I would be grateful if you could confirm receiving this message.'

Tealady
10-09-2014, 05:18 PM

I see. Definitely not have him in if they are likely to fob you off. I would just text along the lines off "Just texting to see how xxxxx is? Hope he is better soon and look forward to seeing him next week" Then if they come back saying "Next week?" you can them just remind them of the 48hr policy.

greanan
10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone!! Love this forum for reminding myself lots of other people would do the same!! Text mum and she was fine :-)