PDA

View Full Version : greedy child... sorry not very "pc"

Rickers83
10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Lo2 eats so quickly, but I'm talking barely stops for breath, 5 grapes at once & hugging the bowl incase anyone touches it!!

He can polish off a digestive biscuit & handful of grapes before the others have eaten 2 grapes!!
He then looks in there bowls & if you're not watching will eat theirs too!!

I've tried giving him one thing at a time but he gets very frustrated having to wait for each thing.
Same at dinner he get very frustrated having to wait in the highchair for others to finish before he gets pudding.

His older brother can be the same, notedly so when we were on a picnic, without me realising he ate all the grapes before anyone else got any!!

Any ideas?

Mouse
10-09-2014, 10:20 AM
I looked after a brother & sister like this and have one mindee now who does the same.

The concern I had with the brother & sister was that they would fill their mouths so full they couldn't chew or swallow their food and would end up gagging.
With my mindee now I can put his plate down, turn around to get the drinks, turn back & find his plate his empty. The first time he did it I looked on the floor because I assumed he'd just tipped it off the plate!

I've found I either have to hand them one thing at a time (for younger children), or sit with them and talk them through the whole process - pick up a piece of food, take a bite, put the rest back on your plate, take your hand away from the plate, wait till you mouth is empty, pick up your food, take a bite, put it back down on your plate...etc etc. I know you said your mindee gets frustrated if he has to wait for his food, but it's something he's just going to have to get used to.

Simona
10-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Lo2 eats so quickly, but I'm talking barely stops for breath, 5 grapes at once & hugging the bowl incase anyone touches it!!

He can polish off a digestive biscuit & handful of grapes before the others have eaten 2 grapes!!
He then looks in there bowls & if you're not watching will eat theirs too!!

I've tried giving him one thing at a time but he gets very frustrated having to wait for each thing.
Same at dinner he get very frustrated having to wait in the highchair for others to finish before he gets pudding.

His older brother can be the same, notedly so when we were on a picnic, without me realising he ate all the grapes before anyone else got any!!

Any ideas?

Do you think... from your observations...that it could be compulsive eating? that could be caused by anxiety

If you google it you may find some suggestions