PDA

View Full Version : Child records

Miss freckles
10-09-2014, 07:19 AM
I'm a bit confused and not too sure if I need something extra. I've read about having child records with all the details needed on all children.

I have a locked box file which contain all the childrens contracts in and then when I first started minding I used to have a fiolder for each child which had their planning (before I used learning journeys) and then any accident forms, medication, allergies etc but my do told me to keep all those forms separate and to put them in the locked box file with the contracts which I did.

However I always hear people talk about having child record folders separate from where the contracts are kept. Can someone please clear this up for me. Should I have my box file with contracts in then a separate folder with child's details and things like accident forms etc.

Thank you

QualityCare
10-09-2014, 07:51 AM
I keep each childs contract, permission forms and child record forms in a plastic wallet together, these are then placed all together in 1 file named contracts and kept in my filing cabinet, accident and incidents are kept in the accident book, when ofsted come l take out the plastic wallets for the children that are present on that day for her to see and also put the accident book out. No one has ever said it should be done any different, if all the information for the child is all together its easy to find in an emergency.

Mouse
10-09-2014, 08:24 AM
There really isn't a right or wrong way of doing it, so you have to find a system that works for you.

I have 2 main folders (lever arch files, so they hold a lot). One is my 'paperwork' folder. I use dividers so each child has a section in that folder. In their section is the contract, child record form, permissions form, funding agreement, medication, accident, existing injuries and incident forms, along with anything else I need to file away.

I also have an EYFS folder. Again, each child has a section. In that I put their tracker, assessment summaries, planning, observations and 2 year progress checks.

Each child did used to have 2 folders - one for paperwork & one for EYFS, but it meant I had an awful lot of folders to store! It works much better for me this way :thumbsup: